Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night blooming cirrus

Posted by april619 5b IN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 18:39

I had a bloom on my night blooming cirrus last Sunday night, but missed it because I was not expecting it for several more seasons. I found the closed bloom on Monday morning and immediately called my parents. My step-dad came to inspect my plant and show me how to find any new buds. I am so fortunate to have 3 more starting. This plant was started from 1 leaf stuck in some dirt 2 summers ago, so anyone who is familiar with this plant knows not to expect anything for many years....and then only few and far between. Also, I have endured many people who look at it like a plant who has seen better days, or may never see a good day. Fools. To my good fortune I should have these beautiful blooms within a few weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night blooming cirrus

I planted mine from a cutting in May 2002, and it just had it's first bud. Unfortuntely, it fell off last week before blooming. So, maybe next year, or hopefully it'll have another this summer or fall...

o

Ok, I have a huge NBC from a plant swap in the spring. Can you tell me fertilizer requirements of them? Mine has been sitting on my covered patio since May, and I noticed that the squirels (I think) have torn a few leaves off and have been feasting on them. I also think that I should repot it, this fall........ any special soil requirements?

Will be watching for a pic soon!

Carol

o

I fell a little 'sheepish' saying this but, I don't give my cirrus too much pampering. I just stuck a leaf in some potting soil 2 years ago and put it in my kitchen window. In the summer I put it on the front step and it gets morning sun only. I water it about once a week and it is thriving. I have never had an issue with critters eating the leaves. I'm not sure why they would like it. Even my cats don't touch the cirrus - the spider and the fern get all the attention from my 2 cats.
It should be soon on my bloom. The bud is about 1 1/2" long so far. It is taking longer than I expected to open. Hopefull soon!

o

My NBC bloom will open tonight. This is a piece of my grandmother's plant--it hasn't bloomed since the 1960's. My sisters and my father and I keep exchanging "leaves" to start when one of ours dies. Finally this afternoon i saw a blossom on mine. What a thrill! I will stay up tonight to photograph it. Quite a surprise!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here