Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiaclarice

How long does a moonflower blossom last?

georgiaclarice
19 years ago

I just had my first moonflower blossom come out a few days ago -- yippee! After the first night, it closed during the day, but then it fell off that day. We had a big rain storm that day. Is that the normal life span of moonflower blossom (one night, and then it falls of the next day), or did it fall off prematurely due to the storm and would otherwise have opened back up the second night?

I love the blossoms so much, and I waited so long for one, that I want them to last more than one night!

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• kolesganny
    19 years ago

Don't know how long each flower lasts, but don't worry, you will have bushels of them. Just wait until it is full of blooms and you smell it! Heavenly, reminds me a bit of White Diamonds. Yes, Mine always close in the daytime. I plant them to run up the posts of my deck, love sitting out there and smelling them. I also plant them on my bird house posts.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

It's a one nighter. The good news is that more and more start to open, so where you had two, you will have many more later.

• Joyce Knight
    19 years ago

I have been sitting on my front porch for the last 2 hours just relaxing and smelling my moonflowers. I have four wrought iron posts on my porch and they are covered with the moonflower vines. There must be at least 20 to 25 flowers open right now on each vine. I never knew that one vine would grow so big and have so many flowers. It smells heavenly out there. Yes,the blooms just last one night and fall off the next day,but there will be many more the next night. I have to clean up a big handful of flowers each day from under the vines. But I don't mind, it is all worth it.

Sponsored