Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Are you using shrubs as moon garden backdrops?

I've been enjoying this forum though I notice that it has become much more about the moonflower vine as far as questions go!

I was wondering for those of you who have planned out your gardens whether shrubs are incorporated? Most of the lists are of flowers and vines-maybe tender shrub-like perennials like brugs or plumbagos.

I have a totally exposed area ( SE--to a downhill view and sky) which would probably be great to grow many of the moon garden plants. However, at some point I am going to want to incorporate a border/barrier as a property demarcation. I love shrubs with multi-functionality (blooms, interesting foliage, scent). Are you utilizing any evergreen or deciduous shrubs in your plans or just using flowers?

Comments (3)

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Hi Sujiwan.. I have some shrubs in my white/evening garden. Some of the ones I have include: lilac with a clematis ( Arctic Queen) running through it, dwarf mock orange Minnesota Snowflake, clethra 'Hummingbird', two bayberry shrubs, roses: Iceberg and Blanc Double De Coubert, a burning bush with a clematis (Henryi) running through it, tree peony Godaishu, two varigated hollies, and a Seven Son's Flower tree/shrub (heptacodium miconioides). Off the top of my head that is what I have as far as shrubs go mixed in with the perennials, bulbs and annuals. I tend to use the smaller shrubs, although I have a few larger ones in there, because that garden is an island off center in my front lawn.. I want to be able to see beyond it to some of my other gardens. The area directly behind it I have a plan to add an area of ostrich fern as a back drop. I have also considered beyond that some purple smoke bush to set off the color of the fern, and for the white to play against. We shall see, I am always thinking of new things..Good luck, and have fun! JoAnn

• pat_6
    19 years ago

Hi Sujiwan,
    I, too, am using shrubs in my garden, though I'm only now beginning the installation. I've wanted a moon garden for quite some time. We moved last year and I found the perfect place for one at the end of a metal building, which is visible from our drive. I wanted to screen the building end (because it looks so commercial) so I've used some big plants.

Just out from the building I've used a Shasta Viburnum, 3 Arborvitae, and an heirloom Mock Orange. Diagonally in front of the Viburnum will be a white azalea. In front of the Arborvitae will be a bench for sitting and enjoying the garden. Beside the bench, and beside the Mock Orange, I've planted a White Lilac. When they fill in the Mock Orange and Lilac should provide nice screening from the road, which is about 50' away. Also, back on the side where I've put the viburnum and azalea, I've planted a Chinese Dogwood, which flowers white in June and July (about 6 weeks, according to the tag...)

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Hi Pat, I just want to come and sit on your bench for a while ..it sounds beautiful, and I bet it smells heavenly!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting