Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freedaray

Night Blooming Cerus hunt

freedaray
19 years ago

About 10 yrs. ago I was given a piece of the Night Blooming Cerus or Christ in a Manger plant. It had the most beautiful, fragrant bloom I have ever seen; however, no one seems to know what it is or where I can find another. Does anyone have information on where these plants can be purchased? My Grandmother's sister (she has since passed away) gave me the one I had & I haven't seen one since!

Comments (12)

• Julie
    19 years ago

I did a search in google and the first reponse was another GW post asking the same thing. There a member offered a cutting! I also saw a few for sale, and seeds for sale. Try using google to search for it.
    Good luck to you!
    Julie

• suzannie
    19 years ago

Fredaray, I have the night blooming cereus cactus you are looking for. I have several small cuttings that I have potted from my large plant. I would be happy to send you one. Email me and let me know if this is what you are looking for -
    Night-blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum)

• txgarden57
    19 years ago

I'm really confused. Growing up in Arizona a neighbor had a cactus everyone called a night blooming cerus. it opened at night and was usually gone about 9:00 the next morning. He had several and when they bloomed you could smell them in our yard too. Sounds like what you all are discribing right? Well The cactus itself looked like a grey stick in the ground not like a christmas cactus at all. So I'm pretty sure it wasn't Epiphyllum oxypetalum. My question is this: Does anyone know what my neighbor was growing?

• elvis
    19 years ago

Sounds like night blooming cerus. I was able to trade for a couple of them on the Cacti & Succulent Forum.

• KimberlyAnn
    19 years ago

TXGarden57

Are you thinking of Selenicereus grandiflorus? I just got some cuttings from a guy on ebay. Maybe you all can check there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selenicereus grandiflorus

• david_cactus
    17 years ago

I bought a few seeds of Peniocereus greggii(Queen of the night) a few weeks ago from Horizon herbs. contact richo Cech for information on herbseed@horizonherbs.com

• betowers
    14 years ago

i have one of these plants i keep it in the same place spring and summer and in the winter in home in the same place but this year the leaves looks like they have a diease. they have brown dried spots on them not all of them and it looks awful i never had this to happen do you think it needs to be repoted or what can i do it use to look so healthy and now it looks sick

thansk

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

KinberlyAnn Thank you for identifying my stick cactus. I have only known it as a stick cactus until now.
    Paul

• cattleya17
    14 years ago

Go to Logees.com and they have it! they have both plants that are called a night blooming cereus

The first is Epiphyllum oxypetalum called night blooming Cereus or dutch-mans Pipe Cactus
    http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=S7507-2

Then they sell the Hylocereus Undatus which some people call a Night blooming cereus. This one however produces a fruit called a dragon Fruit because the fruits have scales.
    http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R2120-2

Both are night blooming and both Highly fragrant! Blooms open so fast you can watch! hope one of these is the one you are looking for!

~Sam

• zone10aridgardener
    13 years ago

I have some gigantic 11 foot cereus peruvianus specimens in my front yard. They come with giant white flowers with a pungent smell, then a few weeks after if their pollinated you get lychee sized red fruits that taste like a super sweet watermelon.

• bettyc3438_aol_com
    13 years ago

I would like to BUY A PLANT OR CUTTINGS

• User
    12 years ago

My pot of the night blooming cereus became so large and sprawling that I could not pick it up any more. Expecting a hard winter, I took a lot of cuttings and jammed them down in a big clear vase with wet moss inside. Roots went everywhere, and I did not lose a single cutting. This spring, I transferred the mass of cuttings into a new deeper pot so the plant could droop to its hearts content, and I could roll it into the heated garage for next winter.

So taking cuttings is pretty easy to do, if you have a large plant you wish to share.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?