Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sushicaddy

Moonflower wall cover

Sushicaddy
19 years ago

Hello everyone, this is my initial post ever about gardening stuff. I am very new to gardening, but I have a fantastic 1901 craftsman in Los Angeles with a huge backyard (for LA, I'm sure it's tiny compared to most of the yards all of you have) that simply screams for a garden. I am a night person so I'm very interested in a moon garden.

The first problem I have is that there are two large industrial complexes to the south and west of my backyard (my house faces north) that have large 20-25 foot tan brick walls. Let me tell you they are frightfully ugly. I would like to cover them with moonflower vines.

When would be the best time to plant the seeds?

How do I get them to adhere to the wall?

How do I get them to cover the entire wall?

The backyard is dominated by a pepper tree that I loathe, and it castes a large amount of shade onto the wall, is that going to cause a problem with the moonflower growing there?

I read that moonflower does not do well in the shade so I am planning to cover the brickwork of my front porch in night blooming jasmine. I'm also planning to plant tuberose in the spring. Do you think the scents of these flowers will be complimentary or will they clash? All three of these plants are well knows for their heady night-time scents.

Does anyone know if bats like the moths that night-blooming plants attract? IÂm crating a bat-house for wild little brown bats and IÂm hoping to attract some.

Aside from these white night blooming plants IÂm planning to plant mainly black or dark colored plants. IÂm hoping that the white nighttime flowers will burst out of the black backdrop like stars in the sky. Or so that is the theory right now.

Thank you for your time, and I apologize for being so incredibly ignorant. I'm a city-boy born and bred and so this "ending to living things" concept is rather new to me.

Comments (2)

Sponsored