Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prune a Moonflower Bush

Posted by rachaelf z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 05 at 15:09

Has anyone had luck pruning a moonflower bush to keep a nice shape. I planted one in between each of my potted cannas in my side yard, but they were so lush the branches started to grow into the walkway and onto the canna pots. I would like them to have a better shape if possible.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prune a Moonflower Bush

I kept mine cut back, but only for the sake of space, not necessarily to shape them. However, the plants didn't seem to notice, as they continued to be beautiful. I have also found it's almost impossible to kill a Moonflower plant. Moonflowers, simply, will take up a lot of space. Next year mine will be farther from the house.

o

I had to extensively trim ours about 3 times and it did not hurt them a bit. They just kept blooming. I too will find a better place to plant those large beauties next year.

o

If you like more of a tree form like appearance. It can be single or multiple trunk by starting to thin
out some of the lower branches on the selected trunk. More pruning can be done in spring.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here