Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowhair_gw

Don't laugh---can I take my Moonvine inside for winter?

yellowhair
20 years ago

It's been blooming so well that I don't want to give it up. LOL If it gets sun, say 3 hours a day---would this be enough. I don't have a greenhouse, so it would have to be inside my dining room/office area.

Or, can I cut it back and put it in the basement. Or, can I save the root thingy and dry it? Can I, can I, can I???

Comments (6)

• mamamaureen
    20 years ago

I know exactly how you feel. I tried to do this and was disappointed. There just isn't enough light in the winter time to keep it going, not even when you put it in your sunniest window. I DO have a Florida room or conservatory, with a huge overhead skylight, and still it didn't work. They are just annuals, period. Save your seed pods.

• yellowhair
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oh, well. Mine is already just about stopped blooming. It was nice while it lasted. Next year, next year...

• hostacrazy
    20 years ago

Yellowhair,
    I just read in a book that you can cut them back hard and place them in a cool dark room for overwintering. (Like a basement). I am going to give it a go. What do we have to lose?
    Kathy

• TFKLINE
    20 years ago

Mine MF are still blooming. I've been told the seed pods are where the blooms fall off. But I'm not sure when to cut them back. I hate to lose them. I also have three Hummingbird Moths that come visiting every night.

• yellowhair
    Original Author
    20 years ago

To my surprise and delight, my Moonflower has been blooming some more!! And I have several seedpods, but I am going to cut it back, when it gets colder, and try to take it in. We had a cold spell with threatening frost, then a warm-back-up period.

I also have a couple of small Moonflower plants that, for some reason unknown to me, did not climb, bloom, or anything. I may also move them in and see what happens. I cannot figure out what happened to them---they didn't receive as much sun---I do know this---maybe this was the reason. ??? But, they were in a long planter with some MG's-----the MG's have been blooming!! ??????

PS I have 2 MG's blooming in one of my sunny windows! One is Scarlett O'Hara and the other is a seed that I received in a trade ( a generous Gwebber)---only got like 4 seeds----I wasn't even sure they were still viable----but I put them in a small pot to see----well----then our weather started getting colder----I put them inside on a window sill-----it's call "Sun Smile" and it bloomed today and it's gorgeous!! Dark purple with white edges and looks like it has an extra little petal that is near the center. It made my day!

• skippy05
    20 years ago

My moon flower is still blooming.
    My Morning glory is gone.......I have (had) Scarlett O'Hara
    also. The moon flower vine will root in water, just cut a piece off.
    This is my first year with mf, started from seeds.
    I thought the seeds were in the buds that do NOT bloom/open. I found some awhile ago, 3 or 4 seeds to a pod, they are white & look white chocolate covered raisins. I took one down the other day, but when I broke it open, it was too soon, was just mushy.

Sponsored