Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perrynewbegining

new moonvine lover! this is my first year.

perrynewbegining
13 years ago

I got my moonvine started from the seed that my boyfriend's mother had given me. I saw her vine and was in awe, the blooms were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and I was just tickled that they bloomed at night. Different than anything I had ever come across before. She told me to soak them in water,(didn't know about the filing or scoreing though)once it would open I was to plant it in the soil.

I soaked them for about 6 to 8 weeks changing the water and nothing happened. I got one that had sprouted from the seed and two more that hadn't from her since mine hadn't done anything and I just took a chance and planted them in soil instead. I watered them every day and checked on them every day and nothing. I gave up after about 1 1/2 months thinking I just didn't have what it took. But I kept watering them and checking on them every couple days just incase in hopes I was wrong. Low and behold, I finally had one pop up out of the soil and then another one. Then I planted another one in another pot and that one worked out fine.

So, after that I thought what if we take a clipping off of one and put it in water to get roots? That's something my mom used to do all the time when I was a kid. So, we tried it and it worked. It got several roots, so we planted and we are waiting to see how it comes along.

Okay, after all of that here is my question. I live in the NorthEast, M.D. area I keep my vines inside they were looking beautiful very green and full of life and blooming very beautifully but now all of a sudden they are getting yellow leaves and not looking so healthy. The only thing I can think of is, we have a problem with "stinkbugs" here inside and outside. and they seem to love my moonvines. can anyone help? any suggestions or answers as to what may be happening? could it be the stinkbugs? I've never known them to be harmful, they've never hurt any of my other plants. Help, I don't want to lose my moonvines they are soooo beautiful!!! Thanks! perrynewbegining@gmail.com

Comments (3)