Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm a beginner. Could y'all help re: Moonflower plant?

Posted by Imag TX (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 21:49

My friend's mother gave me a bulb from her moonflower plant (see picture below). She said it was jimsonweed, but she wasn't completely sure. I really liked the plant and want to grow one, but I have a few questions.

1) I've read they can be dangerous. Is it just from eating them? Or could I get sick from touching/taking care of it?

2) Could someone explain (or point me to a website) how I get the seeds from this bulb and get a plant going? I live in Houston TX, so it's pretty hot right now. I was planning on putting it on my porch; direct sunlight from 3PM-7PM.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I've been googling this plant like crazy... but it's hard to find the right info.

Pic - http://i.imgur.com/IXftx.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm a beginner. Could y'all help re: Moonflower plant?

Your picture.

My friend's mother gave me a bulb from her moonflower plant. She said it was jimsonweed, but she wasn't completely sure. I really liked the plant and want to grow one, but I have a few questions.

I don't think this is a bulb, but probably a seed pod from Datura, which is also called jimson weed.

Anything with "weed" in its' name is usually pretty easy to grow but these things seem to want to plant themselves. The common problem with trying to grow a weed is coddling - anything from "really good dirt" to overwatering can result in failure. The pod in your picture doesn't look ripe to me, but many "weeds" seeds can sprout from seemingly unripe seeds. I'm not sure if the seeds in your pod are ripe enough to sprout.

Would your friend's Mom let another pod get more ripe for you? When it turns brown and starts to crack open, it is truly ripe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here