Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

What is the perfect support for moonflower vines?

JustJoeyGirl
19 years ago

I planted some moonflower vines this year and, for the first time, they were successful. I might add much larger and more full than I expected. They quickly outgrew the support I provided for them. ( A bayberry shrub...I don't'know what I was thinking...a six foot small vine with medium sized flowers?) I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to say they grew to 15 feet and the flowers were huge. I know I want to plant them again next year, SO the question I have is :

Where do you plant your moonflower vines, what do you use for support?

Thanks for sharing any suggestions..JoAnn.

Comments (6)

• chuckwagon240
    19 years ago

My boyfriend made a wood arbor over my back walkway, about 10 ft high. I planted morning glories on one side and moons on the other. It really is quite beautiful and everyone remarks about it. The only mistake i made, was to hang windchimes & some other things from it and now they are completely engulfed by the vines.One small birdhouse in the arbor is now home to tree frog & on occasion i will glimpse him peering out through the opening. The arbor is a great support system & pretty to look at.

• rootdiggernc
    19 years ago

I've grown moonflowers up my porch rails,... north facing and shady. They loved it and were huge. Last year I grew them on an arbor and they didn't do as well as far as bloom size, but I think that was due to getting more sun, which was west facing, but shaded from late day sun by woods. This year I'm going to try them on an old 5 ft ladder near a tree with eastern sun.

One interesting thing I noted in the difference in the two locations I've tried so far is that in the north facing spot I could never get seed to ripen before frost. The sunnier location I did get scads of seeds, but smaller/fewer blooms. I'm hoping this morning sun site will be a happpy medium for them.

• decolady01
    19 years ago

Our deck is raised off the ground by about 3 1/2 feet. There is trellis around the skirt and rails around the deck. I normally grow the moonflowers there on the eastern end. The plants produce numerous huge flowers every year and I get lots of seeds.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I didn't even think of our back deck...I don't know how I could have overlooked such a site. It gets full morning sun, and mid afternoon sun. I think that just might be the right spot. Especially when we are out on the back deck. For some reason, I kept thinking of them only in my white garden, which is an island in the front lawn. One solution down....now to find something to support them in the front of the house.

• october17
    19 years ago

My vines were not that full, but did grow tall. Up 8 ft and sideways a few feet. (We have an 8'x24' lattice wall on our deck.) So, based on that, I would suggest something taller rather than wider. A couple of poles sunk in the ground with some twine or wire wrapped around them? I like the ladder idea too, I may try that one on the other side of our deck.

• Auntie_Clara
    19 years ago

I grew moonflowers on a chain link fence. There was a garage to the east of the fence which provided some shade, but they got the full western sun. They did beautifully there and really covered the unsightly fence.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm