Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egyptianonion

Don't forget BLUE

egyptianonion
21 years ago

Granted, I'm partial to blue anyway, but did you know that the human eye sees the color blue more intensely than any other color (except white) at night? This is compounded when there is any cool-spectrum light available such as moonlight or ultraviolet lighting. (The opposite effect of lighting on blue is seen indoors at night when the blues of a decorating scheme are lost under warm-hued incondescent lamps. Also, outdoor amber lights ruin any attempts at blue.) Normally, though, delphinia go practically ELECTRIC at night!

Egyptianonion

Comments (10)

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

Maybe that is why the blue interior of the hot tub seems to glow at night when the moon is out? It almost shows too much and for just sitting in the tub, I like moonless nights best. There is no light pollution where we live and the high altitude makes the atmosphere thinner, so even the light from the stars makes things glow a little. The moon makes everything quite bright.

Violet shows up well too.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
    Great woods, you frighten me like cathedrals;
    You howl like an organ; and our hearts of misery,
    Rooms of eternal mourning where quiver ancient rattles,
    Answer the echoes of your from the depths I've come to Thee.
    - Charles Baudelaire, Obsession

• summergirl
    21 years ago

My plumbago out does even my white blooming plants when the moon is full. It almost shines it is so bright. It is such a pretty light blue any time of the day but spectacular at night..

• SoNJdaydreamer
    21 years ago

What do you think about lambsear for a moon garden?
    I love the idea of having blue flowers in a moon garden to give some contrast. I keep picturing blue glazed flower pots. That sounds like something I'll have to keep an eye out for. Thanks for the ideas!

• cherylk
    21 years ago

Egyptianonion - you aren't by chance located off of I-57 are you?

Cheryl - also a Z5 Central Illinoian

• poloma
    21 years ago

Cardoons are electric at night or in the day! Their silvery foliage stands out too.

• Ghostthroughthefog
    21 years ago

I am new to this site, and new to gardening. I have been dreaming of a moon garden for years, and always picture lots of white flowers, but also some flowers in blue hues, and purple and lavender as well. Cool colors, and evening colors. I also saw black tulips once and thought they would be nice - a few in a small circle, surrounded by white and pale blue smaller flowers - to help make them stand out. I am so excited for spring! (which is not typical for me - I am normally an autumn/winter person)

• AmberSky
    20 years ago

That's how I've done mine. Shades of purple, blue and even a few pinks, to set off the white. What I love the best is that it gives me two gardens...the plants that show during the day are not the same ones you notice at night. I just got an Angel's Trumpet "Metal" with it's purple/black outer bloom, and it's pearl white interior, to go into my moon garden.

Here in Florida, it just gets too hot to enjoy your garden in the day, come full summer. A moon garden was the only way, and kinda obvious sence come July, all my gardening will happen after sunset, anyway.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    20 years ago

Hi,
    Many plants with blue flowers also have the added benefit of having silver or grey leaves which show up in the dark. Catmints, lambs ear, veronica incana(less well known, its a matt former), roman sage and some of the other salvias to name a few. I'm sure there are more.
    Catrina

• Mary_Jane_in_Calif
    20 years ago

I love the idea of a Moon Garden. I have tried to grow Moon Vine several times with no success. I love the idea of adding blue to go with white and even pale pinks. My only concern is that we have very hot summers and I'm afraid it would appear washed out.

I have Chinese Forget-me-nots in bloom right now and I would love to find other flowers that are true blue. I also have Plumbago one in a pale sky blue and one that is slightly darker. Any more blue suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Jane

• AmberSky
    20 years ago

I just got one of the blue and white Angelonias. It's in next to the blue salvia, and together they are absolutely outstanding. The differences between full day, twilight, and full night are exactly what I was hopeing for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angelonia

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals