Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine type Moonflower overwintering?

Posted by carlanne 7 NJ coastal (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 16:53

Is it possible to keep a pot of vining moonflowers through the winter in a partially warm shed? Has anyone had experience doing this? I overwinter elephant ears, and canna in pots in this shed which contains a big water heater but no light of any sort. The EE and canna come back in the spring when I take them outdoors.

I'd like to try the same treatment on a couple of pots of established moon flower vines, cutting them back just before frost, mulching them and keeping them in the shed. Anyone have any thoughts? They take so long to bloom when I start them from seed here so I thought I'd try this. Thank you for any advice or reports of sucess or failure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine type Moonflower overwintering?

Should be possible, since they are tender perennials by nature. Not sure about watering during dormancy, but hope you tried to carry them over to this year. I've wondered about that being successful myself. Did you try? Showing any regrowth or still dormant?

o
RE: Vine type Moonflower overwintering?

I was just wondering the same thing! I grew mine from seed this year and they didn't start flowering until late August and now it's getting cold here in MA so I don't think they will last much longer outside.

Also, how do you overwinter you EEs? I am anxious to do this too since there are some amazing specimens at my local garden center on sale but I don't want to buy them and see them die next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here