Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When/How to harvest moonflower seeds?

Posted by barbara_g z7 AL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 03 at 23:08

This has been my first year to grow moonflowers and I'm absolutely in love! My children and I have enjoyed watching the sphinx moths around the blooms in the late evenings. I count the blooms at night...and on a full moon, they're spectacular! My highest count so far was 24 blooms! I have them along a fence row.

Now I'm beginning to see lots of seed pods. When and how should I harvest the seeds? I would love to grow them next year also...so would all my friends who have seen mine!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When/How to harvest moonflower seeds?

I just opened up one of my seedpods, which was turning brown, and was surprised----it only had 2 large, what I guess, are seeds in it. They're huge. And a teardrop shape. I'm hoping I can find my old seed packet and see what the original seeds looked like----I just remember it saying--large fragrant flowers---Moonflower.

Anyway, it's my understanding that the pod should have turned brown to harvest the seeds. Good luck with them!

o

Well, I do remember the seeds being large and brown...can't remember if they were teardrop shape or rounded. Maybe we'll need all those seed pods after all with only two seeds per pod!...I wanted to give some to friends. I remember buying at least two seed packets to have enough for my fence, so there were probably only ten or so seeds per packet.

Thanks for the information!

o

The MoonFlower vine seeds are white & look like white chocolate covered raisins.

o

Harvest them when the pods turn brown and the seeds rattle on the inside. You should have more than PLENTY to give to friends. I must have a hundred seed pods on each vine .... Some of the pods have 4 seeds some have two.

I am looking forward to having TONS of vines next year!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here