Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

I just planted Montauk Daisies, any experience with them?

JustJoeyGirl
19 years ago

I just planted some Montauk Daisies in my white garden a few days ago. I had seen some from a distance at a house and they really stood out. I had never seen them before, not even at our local nurseries. I found some at a nursery and put them in...of course without researching them at all. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks...JoAnn

Comments (10)

• kismet93
    19 years ago

I live on the south shore of Long Island, NY and found Montauk Daisys here when I moved in two years ago. I find them very hardy and almost invasive - they seem to be popping up in the most unexpected places. They bloom beautifully but the plant gets almost shrublike and dominates anything planted close to it. I have just cut them back almost to the ground (I had to useprunning loppers) and next year I resolve to be more thorough and consistant in keeping them cut back as they do get sprawley and ungainly.

• batyal
    19 years ago

I cut mine down twice to keep the plants compact: once in mid-May--not later, you'll kill the blooms, and once in November, each time to about 8 inches. The May cut down is by 1/2, the fall cut down is to 8 inches tall. They bloom in October. If you rub the leaves, you get a wonderful odor. They make wonderful cut flowers. I'm thinking of taking cuttings for new plants next year as some of mine seem to be failing (after about 7 years).

• batyal
    19 years ago

My first message should not have said to cut to 8 inches both times. It should have said by one-half in May and to 8 inches in November after blooming. Sorry for the confusion.

• fatalem
    19 years ago

This is a very helpful web site:
    http://www.capecodchronicle.com/features/hughes_102402.htm

I believe that this is a plant that I was trying to identify. It has prolific white flowers in the late summer and seems to be very hardy. I have been wondering how well it would fare in part shade. I gather it will cope just fine there but may produce less flowers.

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Batyal, I just happened upon this thread and wondered whether you tried taking cuttings. When I cut mine back on June 1 (the pruning dates I was given were June 1 and December 1) I couldn't bear to toss them, so applied a little rooting hormone, stuck them in a little light potting soil, 3 to a pot, and set them in dappled shade. Every cutting took root; after a little time to get a good root-system established, I planted them out into a sunny spot and they bloomed for me this autumn.

Diane

• kim2
    17 years ago

Hello. My inlaws brought some montauk daises down from Long Island(I live in NC). I planted them in both sun and shade. They have done wonderfully. The soil down here is not the best and these plants have thrived. I highly recommend this plant.
    kim

• etexlady
    16 years ago

I would like to find this plant. However I wonder what type of bees are attracted to it? Bumblebees or just honey bees? I like plants that attract butterflies, but bees is another story. Bumblebees don't bother me as much as honey bees. I had several gallardia last year, with tons of honey bees. I decided to cut way back on them this year. I am allergic to bees and have been attacked by them a couple of times. It's hard to weed with the bees flying all over the plants!

• debndal
    16 years ago

etexlady - I found this plant at Lowe's last fall about bloom time. I have it planted in part shade. It is growing fine - we'll see how the really hot weather affects it, but I have noticed the leaves are getting mottled - like little pin pricks all over them - must be some type of stinging insect or something. Since it hasn't bloomed yet this year can't say whether the bees are attracted to it. I didn't notice bees on it last fall when I planted it. If it does well this year, it's going to replace my shasta daisies for which Montauk is a parent. I love the shasta bloom, but they just don't bloom long enough, and the blooms always fall over in my garden.

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

batyal oooopsss. I read your message and quickly ran out between showers and cut my large bush down to about 12". LOL.

In any event, the darn thing was so leggy and falling over last summer, I don't care if it doesn't bloom! but I bet it does AND gets big all over again.

• moregreatideas123
    8 years ago

These daisies, I have found, are hearty, easy to grow and most satisfying because they bloom when the garden is waining. However, because they can be invasive , like most daisies, I grow them in two massive pots in full sun. In about November, they are cut back to about 8-10 inches. Otherwise they are lush and green all summer and then pop to full color in late summer. That are almost self-maintaining. Great plant. Large pots is the trick. Water well during heat of summer.

Sponsored