Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soundgarden_gw

What is a Moon Garden?

soundgarden
20 years ago

I read a list on another thread of plants that work well in a moon garden, but what is it? What 'type' of plants does one look for?

Comments (9)

• soundgarden
    Original Author
    20 years ago

HELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO OUT THERE!!!!

• goatgal
    20 years ago

As I understand it, a moon garden is filled with flowers of very light/white shades that really look luminous in moonlight. Moonflower is an obvious choice because of it's color and the fact that it opens and releases it's perfume at night.

• bakemom_gw
    20 years ago

Here's a partial list of plants:

http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/moonseed.html

I think we're all sidetracked on winter sowing right now, at least I am, so check the threads - I know there are some oldies posted by me asking for lists of plants. I recall there are others as well.

This is the first year for my moon garden, but I'm going for the white, night fragranced, deep purple and the ethereal. White Swan coneflower, white liatris, nicotiana, white agastache, datura, moonflower vine, fever few, camomille, white iris, white cosmos, white lychnis, phlox david, creeping sage, white lunaria, white nigella and obedient plant.

Anything really that glows at night or attracts the night insect life - like totally cool moths. Look for the threads on outdoor lighting etc.HTH Karen

• JustJoeyGirl
    20 years ago

Hi there, I have a moon garden I call an evening garden. I planted all the wonderful shrubs, perennials, bulbs and such in an island in my front lawn. Unfortunately, I left out the most important part: The light of the moon's path is directly blocked by a huge walnut tree. ( I didn't realize it until two seasons of planting ) It still looks great, especially in the evening just after the sun sets. I just don't get the full effect. I'll have to consider some sort of outdoor garden lighting this spring. I'm so stupid. I have brilliant areas in my backyard that dazzle, I just can't think of transplanting so many prized items. As for plants I primarily have crisp white, deep purple, and a splash of red here and there for the daytime. I use varigated foliage, light greys, light blues also. The plant list goes on and on. If anyone's interested I'd be glad to inventory it and post it. ( I'd like to know what's in there myself, there's so much, I've lost track. I usually video it throughout the seasons so I know what to plant where when things are dormant, and it also reminds me of what blooms when.) Good luck with yours, I'm sure it'll be magical.

• Noni Morrison
    20 years ago

JustJoey Girl, you are not the only one who didn't check where the moon shines before planting. I have a slope just outside of my bedroom window and thought it was the perfect place for a MOON GARDEN. Well, too late wise, I now realize the that the moon is always south of it and shines down on the other side of the slope!

I still love it.

And yes, I will think about garden lighting with moonlike globes this next year....and a little patio for viewing.

• flowersandthings
    20 years ago

Any garden that looks particularly fetching at night.....

• mooseymommy1
    19 years ago

yes ..just Joey girl..I would be interested in your list of plants..as I am sure others would..thanks!

• breezyb
    19 years ago

My "Moon Garden" was planted with all grey/silver plants, as well as night bloomers with white flowers. VERY fetching by moonlight. I also added a concrete birdbath for daytime interest, & "mulched" the garden with white pebbles.

Plants I used & which worked well - Lambs Ear, Common Sage, Silver Santolina, Moonvine, Nicotiana, various silver Artemisias, horehound, white impatiens, rue. . . there are others that I'm just not recalling - old age - lol!!

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

I just wanted to add that white Madagascar periwinkle needs no moonlight to put on a show. I think mine are the "Coconut Cooler" variety and they really pop.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio