Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delecie

Evening/Fragrant Gardening Books

delecie
21 years ago

EVENING GARDENS is a book published in 1993 by author Cathy Wilkinson Barash. It contains the following chapters:

1. A GARDEN FOR EVENING ENJOYMENT

2. EVENING GARDEN ARCHITECTURE

3. PLANTS FOR THE EVENING GARDEN

Sculpture& Silhouette

Textured Bark

Flowers Aglow at Sunset

Bright Flowers

Pale Flowers on the Ground

White Flowers

Night Bloomers

Silver Foliage

Foliage for Contrast

Fragrant Plants

Stars of the Evening Garden

4. LIGHTING

5. PLANS FOR YOUR EVENING GARDEN

FRAGRANCE in BLOOM was published in 1996 by author Ann Lovejoy. It contains the following chapters:

1. Creating Fragrance Effects in the Garden

2. The Scents of Spring

3. Summer Fragrances

4. Autumn Fragrances

5. Winter Scents

6. Night-Fragrant Plants

I found these books and others that I am using to create my Evening/Fragrant garden at my public library. :-)

Comments (5)

• Rosereb
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

delecie,

Thanks for posting your list. After Christmas I hope to have more time to dream about an evening/fragrant garden. You have given some good places to find inspiration.

Rebecca

• sowandsew
    21 years ago

Hi,
    I just came across this forum, and I must add to your list "The Evening Garden: Flowers and Fragrance from Dusk Till Dawn" by Peter Loewer. Published in 1993 by Macmillan. It is my favorite garden book, ever---filled with the author's drawings and poetry along with his information about plants I never knew about. At the time he was living in New York state but I think now he is in North Carolina.
    Chapters:
    The Beauty of the Night; Night Fragrance and Night-Fragrant Flowers; Night-Fragrant Orchids; Night-Fragrant Bromeliads; Annuals and Perennials for the Evening Garden; Night-Blooming Daylilies; Evening Primroses and Other Nocturnal Wildflowers; Water Gardens and Water Lilies of the Evening; Night-Blooming Cactuses; Night-blooming Tropical Vines and Trees; Plants that Look Like They Should Bloom at Night; The Moonlight Garden; Fireflies and Glowworms; Lighting for the Evening Garden.
    Good luck finding a copy. I treasure mine.

• seth
    21 years ago

A couple more to try:

"The Fragrant Year" by Helen Van Pelt Wilson and Leonie Bell, Published 1967 M. Barrows & Co. Chapters: This Fragrant World, Classification of Scents, Fragrant Possibilities for the Winter Garden, Spring Scents of Shrubs and Trees, From Early Bulbs and Small Perennials, Sweetest Shrubs for Early Summer, Fragrant Trees and Vines for May and June, Pinks Peonies and Iris, Just Roses, Fragrant Lilies Old and New, On Eevery Summer Breeze, A Midsummer Night's Garden, Aromatic Herbal Scents, Pleasures of Potpourri, Autumn Aromas, For Cool Winter Gardens, etc. Nicely written book.

Scent in The Garden by Frances Perry. Pub Webb & Bower 1989.

Seth

• newdoc62
    21 years ago

Peter Loewer's book is back in print!! Grab it while you can--I agree, it's fantastic and inspiring.

• VickiOakland
    19 years ago

These are the ones I know about. I'd be interested in knowing about any others that exist.

An Aromatic Garden Wherein May be Found Herbs of a Fragrant Savour and Also Sundry Flowers of Sweet or Bitter Scent Used By Our Forefathers Cambridge: The Abbey Press, MCMXL

Allardice, Pamela. The Scented Garden. Angus & Robertson, 1992

Bales, Suzy. Garden Of Fragrance. ReganBooks, 2000

Bailey, Ralph. Perfumed and Aromatic Australian Plants. SGAP, 1979

Barash, Cathy Wilkinson. Evening Gardens. Charters Publishing Ltd., 1993

Beckett, Kenneth A. Fragrant Plants. Salem House, 1989.

Bird, Richard. The Scented Garden. Stewart Tabori & Chang, 2000

Bonar, Ann. Fragrance Letts Guide To Garden Design. Abbeville Press, 1993

Bradley, S. And V. Fragrant Gardening, Murdoch Books, 2002

Bremness, Lesley. Fragrant Herb Garden.

Brennan, Georgeanne Fragrant Flowers : Simple Secrets for Glorious Gardens - Indoors and Out (A Garden Style Book) Chronicle Books, 1994.

Brooklyn Botanic Garden Gardening For Fragrance. Record. Vol. 45, Handbook #121, Fall 1989. No. 3. Brooklyn: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1989.

Brownlow, Margaret. Herbs and the Fragrant Garden. Darton, Longman & Todd, 1963

Burbidge, F. W. The Book of the Scented Garden. John Lane The Bodley Head Ltd., 1923 (1905).

Church, Glyn. Trees and Shrubs For Fragrance. Firefly Books, 2002.

Coon, Nelson. Fragrance and Fragrant Plants for House and Garden. Diversity Books, Inc., 1967

Croix, I. F. La Scented Plants in Southern Africa. MacMillan South Africa Ltd., 1984.

Dey, S.C. Fragrant Flowers for Homes and Gardens. Trade and Industry. Abhinav Publications, 1996.

Dixon, Trisha. The Fragrant Garden (The Australian Womeb's Weekly Garden Guides). ACP Pusblishing Ltd., 1996.

Donaldson, Stephanie. Venzano: A Scented Garden in Tuscany. Trafalgar Square Publishing, 2001.

Dorrance, Anne. Fragrance In The Garden. Doubleday, Doran & Company, Inc., 1937

Dudale, Rose. Fragrant Herbs. Weather Oak Press, 1935.

Dunn, Olive. Delights Of A Fragrant Garden In New Zealand. Random Century New Zealand Ltd., 1991.

Fletcher, H.L.V. The Fragrant Garden. Garden Club Book, 1965.

Genders, Roy. Perfume in the Garden. Museum Press,

Genders, Roy. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale, 1994 (1977)

Genders, Roy. The Scented Wild Flowers of Britain: A Guide to All British Plants with Scented Flowers, Leaves, Stems or Roots - Their History and Their Uses. Collins, 1971

Greig, Denise. Creating a Fragrant Garden with Australian Native Plants. Golden Press, 1988

Greig, Denise. Fragrant Flowers and Foliage. Kangaroo Press, 1990.

Henslow, T, Geoffrey W. Garden of Fragrance. Frederick Warne $ Co., Ltd., 1934 (1932)

Hillier, Malcolm. Fragrant Herbs (Little Scented Library, Vol 5) Simon & Schuster, 1992.

Irvine, Susan. Fragrant Roses.

Joseph, Jenny. Led By the Nose: A Garden of Smells. Souvenir Press, 2002

Kelly, Frances. A Perfumed Garden. Methuen Australia Pty Ltd, 1981

Lacey, Stephen. Scent in Your Garden. HaperCollins, 1995 (1991)

Lacey, Stephen. The Startling Jungle : Colour and Scent in the Romantic Garden. David R. Godine, 1990.

Lawless, Julia. The Aromatherapy Garden. UK Kyle Cathie Ltd, 2001.

Liddell, Margaret. Scented Plants: A Grower's Handbook. David Bateman Ltd, 1994.

Loewer, Peter H. Taylor's Weekend Gardening Guide to Fragrant Gardens : How to Select and Make the Most of Scented Flowers and Leaves. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1999.

Lovejoy, Ann. Fragrance in Bloom: Cultivating the Scented Garden Throughout the Year. Sasquatch Books,1996.

McLead, Judyth. Fragrant Native Gardens. Simon& Schuster,

Macoboy, Stirling. Trees for Flower and Fragrance. Lansdowne Press, 1982.

Martin, Tovah, The Eseence of Paradise : Fragrant Plants For Indoor Gardens. Little, Brown and company, 1991

McDonald, Donald. Fragrant Flowers and Leaves, Interesting Associations Gathered From Many Sources with Notes on Their History and Utility. Sampson Low, Marston and company, Ltd., 1895.

Mikolajski, Andrew. Glorious Scent in the Garden. Southwater, 2002.

Miranda, Eve Fragrant Flowers of the South. Pineapple Press, 1991.

Mittmann, Helga and Deiter. Success With Scented Plants. Merehurst, 1999.

Ogden, Scott. The Moonlit Garden. Taylor Publishing Company, 1998.

Perry, Frances. Scent in the Garden. Webb & Bower, 1989

Phillips, Roger and Rix, Martyn. Random House Book of Scented Plants. Random House, 1998.

Pirie, Chris. The Australian Scented Garden. Mitchell Publishers, 1984.

Powling, S. & Sanders, M. Hamlyn All Colour Herbs and Aromatics. Practical advice for growing over 180 scented herbs, plants and trees. Hamlyn / Reed Internat. Books, 1993.

Reddell, Rayford Clayton and Galyean, Robert. Growing Fragrant Plants. Harper & Row, 1989.

Rohde, Eleanour Sinclair. The Scented Garden. Hale, Cushman & Flint, Inc., 1931.

Sanecki, Kay N. Fragrant And Aromatic Plants. Cassell Educational Ltd 1993 (1985)

Sanecki, Kay N. The Fragrant Garden. B.T. Batsford Ltd, 1981.

Squire, David. Cassell's Directory of Scented Plants. Cassell & Co, 2000.

Squire,David. The Scented Garden:A Complete Guide to Fragrant Plants for the Australian and New Zealand Gardener. Doubleday, 1989.

Squire, David and Newdick, Jane. The Scented Garden: How to Grow and Use Beautiful Plants to Create a Harmony of Fragrances For Garden and Home. Rodale Press, 1988.

Taylor, Jane. Fragrant Gardens (Gardening by Design series).
    Salem House, 1987.

Taylor, Norman. Color In The Garden And Fragrance In The Garden Two Volumes In One. D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1953

Verey, Rosemary. The Scented Garden: Choosing, Growing and Using the Plants That Bring Fragrance to Your Life, Home and Table. Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1981

Wilder, Louise Beebe. The Fragrant Path: A Book About Sweet Scented Flowers and Leaves. Collier Books, 1996 (1932).

Willet, Wilfred. British Wild Flowers: Fragrant Flowers.Ward Lock & Company, n.d.

Wilson, Helen Van Pelt and Bell, Leonie. The Fragrant Year: Scented Plants For Your Garden & Your House. Bonanza Books, 1971.

Wrigley, John W. & Fagg, Murray. Aromatic Plants: Australian Native Plant Library. Angas & Robertson, 1998.

Cottage Gardens and Fragrant Plants. Universal Magazine, 1993.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES