Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NB Cerus question

Posted by Sparky10 MS (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 21:46

The weather down here in SW MS has been so weird, my plants are confused! Two hurricanes, frost, near record-high temps....My Nightblooming Cerus doesn't know what to do.

It didn't bloom as much this summer as it usually does. Here it is, November 11, and there's a prospering bud on it! The latest its ever bloomed before was November 2nd.

Isn't their blooming season supposed to end in September? What's the latest any of you have had a NB Cerus bloom?

Oh, and I have several cuttings rooted in water. Twice buds appeared but they didn't mature. Anyone ever had one actually bloom in water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NB Cerus question

My night blooming cerus is in bloom now too. it always blooms now.I put it outside for the summer, when the nights get cold it buds, once in bud I bring it in and it blooms till christmas. I thought that was when they were suppost to bloom. Mabe they go into bloom after a bit of cold no matter the time of year. I've had mine for many years and its still healthy so at the verry least I can tell you blooming now won't hert it.

o

Thanks for replying, Julie. These southern varieties prefer the heat of summer! We are having a cold snap for the next 3 days...lows 30 - 38. I brought the plant in; I don't expect the bud to mature now. :^(

o

What a weird coincidence...I forgot I posted this question. Was just visiting the Birdwatching forum and remembered to check here for any more replies.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the plant - THE BLOOM IS OPEN! I don't know when it opened. That poor plant had been moved into an unused front room last Friday; I was careful not to bump the mature bud but forgot about it til just now.

I love strange coincidences!

o

My night blooming cerus have ants on them. Mostly they are going for the buds as they get bigger. I made up some strong dawn and water and sprayed them pretty heavy. This was 2-3 days ago. They are on a table under my carport so no direct sunlight or heat gets to them. Today I see blister like areas on the leaves. Any idea what this could be?

o

My only guess would be that your Dawn mix was too strong. That's gnarly! Never seen blisters like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here