Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Have You Heard of Chuck Hayes Gardenia

Molineux
20 years ago

Hello folks its me MOLINEUX the rose enabler. Sorry to invade over to this forum but I had to let you know of a little gardening secret from my hometown of Hampton, VA. It is the CHUCK HAYES gardenia. This fabulous hybrid gardenia was hybridized right across the river from Hampton in Virginia Beach. We are quite proud of this little plant. Why? Well it is every bit as winter hardy as KLEIN'S HARDY (right on down to O degrees but not any colder) but has the added benefit of double blooms (Klein's are single). It also blooms more with a decent repeat in the fall. Shade AND sun tolerant too. Mature height is about 4 feet. Basically your dream Gardenia.

So if you live in the marginal zones of 6 & 7, and thought you could never grow ravishingly fragrant gardenias then think again. You haven't lived until you've experienced the lush fragrance of gardenias on a warm summer night. They are a true southern decadence.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Writeup on Chuck Haye's at McDonald's Nursery

Comments (16)

• Lauran_Z7
    20 years ago

What great news, Molineux! I'm sending this article to friends in NC who go to Herculean lengths to have gardenias, e.g., covers, pots moved from garden to shelter, etc. It's also good news for those of us who don't ordinarily have the extreme cold problem, but the fact that this one can take full sun is a huge benefit. I'm off to do some "googling" - in the meantime, do you know any mail-order sources? Thanks again.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Lauren,

Tell your friends that they can get a "Chuck Hayes" gardenia at Nurseries Caroliniana (www.nurcar.com). I have no idea how reliable they are but so far they've been the only online source I've seen that looked good. They are based in Augusta SC.

Good Luck,

Patrick

• mikeatle
    20 years ago

Horticulture students at East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, zone 6/7) planted a few of these gardenias around the science building last year. At first I didn't realize they were the new, hardier version. I figured they'd poop out during the winter. Was I in for a surprise. They did just fine! I can't wait for them to bloom.

Michael

• Molineux
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well I'm going to Hampton this weekend to visit my mother. McDonalds Nursery is just 15 minutes away from my mom's home so I'm planning on returning to Maryland with two Chuck Hayes in the back of my truck.

• joy4me
    19 years ago

Hi Molimeux and everyone;

Do you have an address and telephone # for McDonalds? I've been trying to get a "Chuck Hayes" and haven't had any luck! Thanks for any help!!

JoyW

• Molineux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

McDonald Garden Center
    1139 W Pembroke Ave
    Hampton VA 23661-1119
    757-722-7463

• joy4me
    19 years ago

Thanks so much!

JoyW

• patcough
    19 years ago

I have planted chuck hayes gardenia this spring. I purchased them locally after reserching local nurseries. Prices ranged from 29.99 per 1 gallon pot plant to 5.99 per 1 gallon pot plant or 10 for 55.00. I purchased 10 healthy plants at 10 for 55.00. In May I planted one under each window of my house facing north, south, east and west, each plant gets atleast 4 hours to 8 hours sun each day. They are all in bloom at this time with the most enormous double gardenia flowers I have ever seen. I am praying they make it through the winter. I am wondering if I should mulch them this winter with straw or leaves to protect them from the severe weater and winds we experience in delaware. They are all doing extremely well in all exposures. I fertilize them with hollytone and miracle grow.

• wildrose1996
    19 years ago

Hi again, Molineux! Tell me if you know if this variety does well in the heat and drought of zone 8b, east Texas? I love my August Beauty gardenias, but would like a smaller variety for some locations.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry wildrose but I have no experience growing it in an arid environment nor have I heard from someone in your neck of the woods.

BTW, I only bought one this year. He has adapted particularly well to my clay soil and is thriving.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Time for a CHUCK HAYES update. My single plant is in a northwest corner of my yard next to the house. This baby gets nothing but filtered sunlight and is absolutely gorgeous. Glossy green leaves, no disease, and he just finished his first and very long bloom cycle. Let me tell you he was literally C-O-V-E-R-E-D with intensely fragrant double white blooms. To smell him all I had to do was open the window above the plant and the intoxicating fragrance would waft into the room. My CHUCK HAYES is planted in red clay soil. The only fertilizer I used was coffee grounds. I only infrequently watered him. This gardenia is thriving on neglect! I've never seen such an easy to grow gardenia in my life.

If he survives our zone 6b winter I'm gonna be the envy of the neighborhood next year!

• jbsmithtn
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! I had been looking for a Klein's Hardy Gardenia, which I heard about on Landscape Solutions with Rick Kaldrovics on HGTV, but have been unable to find a garden center that had even heard of it! Here in middle TN, they are all still selling the "regular" gardenias, which won't make it thru our winter (without the pampering someone else mentioned - blankets, etc.).

However, the Chuck Hayes sounds even better! Do you know if anyone else sells it, (like a Lowe's?) or is the McDonald Garden Center the only one? I will try to call them tomorrow.

JbsmithTN

• ronmiddle
    19 years ago

I just purchased a Chuch Hayes gardenia at Cistus Nursery in Oregon. You can check out their web site and mail order info. at www.cistus.com. They are a small nursery on Sauvie Island just outside of Portland, OR. They have been promoted by our local garden radio guy and seemed to have a good reputation.

• kaihui
    18 years ago

I am very excited about Chuck Hayes after reading your message. I live in Charlottesville, VA (central VA), zone 7. I guess Chuck Hayes will survive the winter here according to your message. My soil is well drained clay. I am wondering whether Chuck Hayes will survive on this soil.

Thanks,

Kai

• tootseug
    13 years ago

I just purchased this gardenia at Seabright Nursery just north of Salem, in Oregon. I am wondering about the mulching as well.

• themirabelle
    12 years ago

I just received 2 Chuck Hayes gardenias in gorgeous condition from Rare Finds Nursery in New Jersey - ordered online and asked them to ship when the time was right. Fingers are crossed. I'm 11 miles south of The Capitol.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!