Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vhinkes

WANTED: Chicago Area Traders?

vhinkes
18 years ago

Anyone in the Chicago Area interested in doing a spring trade? I live in the Hoffman Estates area and am thinking of placing an order with AC Nurseries and may have a few extra fruit trees due to volumn discounts.

Comments (32)

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Funny you should mention this. I was talking with another Chicagoan here and we mentioned trying to get a trade group together in the spring or summer. Maybe in the spring trade plants and towards the end of summer trade seeds.

I've done a lot of seed trading with people in Illinois this winter that I never see in the midwestern forum.

If I have anything interesting I'd be interested in trading.

MBT

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

I would be interested. I have a few perennials to trade. Not much. I've never traded before, but would like to.

• arborgirl
    18 years ago

Please let me know if you are going to get together a Chicago trade group! I'm new to gardening, but I would love to contribute anything I have (even if it's advice - I'm a certified arborist!).

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I plan to divide a lot of perennials in my garden and replace stuffs. Drop me a line in April/May. I'm in Jefferson Park/NW side not far from O'Hare.

• stage_rat
    18 years ago

I'm interested, too.

Is it possible to do both a seedling and perennial exchange? I think that would be great.

I live in NW Indiana, but go to Lombard a lot. Holding it just about anywhere will be fine with me, though.

--Annette

• susan926
    18 years ago

Count me in also mone, SUSAN

• foxriverlady
    18 years ago

count me in too

• lilaclily
    18 years ago

Me too!

• felisar (z5)
    18 years ago

Me three! Most of my spare plants go to our annual garden club plant sale held in May but would hold some back if there is a definte swap planned. I live in Bensenville very close to O'Hare. I would suggest June or September as good months for a swap.

• sara_ll
    18 years ago

I would be interested in a trade group. I live in Park Ridge, but I would be happy to travel.

Sara

• edibles
    18 years ago

I don't have much to offer but would be interested in coming to a local plant swap. I'm growing some tomatoes and a few herbs

• sissyz
    18 years ago

Hello!
    I am returning to the Midwest after living in the South for twenty years. I would love to be included in any Plant Swap!!
    Sissy

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Was this ever finalized as far as the date/time/location?
    Bellarosa

• sharron49
    17 years ago

count me in too

• silverwind
    17 years ago

I'd love to as well. Any new news on when/where?

I know I've got a few things to divide, and tons of leftover seeds....

• Carole Westgaard
    17 years ago

I'm in Crystal Lake and visit my daughter in Ravenswood (via car travel, not train) very often. I am very willing to go any distance around the city of Chicago to trade. Mostly I have Hostas, but pull sedum up constantly - don't pay for it! Please email me if anyone is organizing this in any way - any time: cdwestg@comcast.net.

Westy

• chicago60652
    17 years ago

I'm interested in getting in on the trade - I live near Oak Lawn - still in the city. I have some sage - both types, deep purple and the light purple. I also have something else - that I need to figure out what it is, ha ha ha

• flower_power2
    17 years ago

I live near Schaumburg and would like to participate. Let me know if this ever gets organized chimneyman20002000@yahoo.com

• francis_eric
    17 years ago

Im 40 miles west of Chicago in Aurora, I probaly couldn't meet anyone ,unless they were closer sence I would probaly be working, but It would be nice to get some seeds For gardening Or native seeds.
    I don't have any seeds, but I could send SASE.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    16 years ago

I'd be interested. I live in Palatine,& a long time gardener. I donated most of my divided perennials already this spring to my garden club's fundraising auction, but always have SOMETHING! Right now I have bee balm, later I'll have cleome & pink mallow, which always self-seeds a-plenty.

• dan_in_winfield
    16 years ago

Westy1941, can you describe the sedum you have? I live in Winfield, and am very interested in trades. I have daylilies that need to be divided. Lots of lamium that's beautiful, but spreads freely. I'll have tons of cleome as soon as it starts to come up. Marigolds will also inevitably be more than I can use.

Need good tomatoes and hot peppers - other veggies then will work in pots or limited space. (soon I'll have to remove the lawn!)

I can use things that work nicely in containers. Color, flowers or accents. Non-invasive perennials. Would love some nice trailing flowers for my planters.

I'll do a QUICK trade, as I'm tempted to go buy things, but my wife is insisting I do a zero-budget garden this year!

• house_first_timer
    16 years ago

dan_in_winfield,

I have some peppers and herbs that I can trade if you are interested. please contact me as I can't send you email.

• emmakitty
    16 years ago

Man, I'm IN Chicago trying to grow vegetables and I would LOVE a trade, even though this was posted almost a year ago...

• lonegreyrabbit
    15 years ago

i'm in michigan in and have several people here interested in a seed/plant exchange...anyone else want to join us? we are planning to have an exchange get together maybe in september.

• urbangarden
    15 years ago

I see that nobody has responded to this post in a while. Is there any interest in a Chicago seed exchange? I have several seeds from last year and more coming through mail order. I'll also have heirloom seedlings to trade when May rolls around. Please respond to the post here if you are interested.

• bierz
    14 years ago

I'm in Chicago and I'm interested in trading but at this point I only have seeds, or I could probably offer a cutting of a meyer lemon tree.

I'm interested in(and would buy) any citrus plants that anyone may be looking to sell.

• klumba
    13 years ago

I'm organizing perenual/annual exchange in Weeling, IL on the parking lot of Water treatment plant on May 30, 2010.
    So far we'll going to have around 20 different flowering plants in pots - and we are interested to include everyone who can bring their trades in good conditions. Please reply if interested - I'll poste the address and directions for driving. From 10am to 1 pm is our proposed time.

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi, I am in Hoffman Estates, if this group is still active , I would like to join in to trade some of my plants.

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Yes ^

• mish01
    11 years ago

hi:
    i have a large scion list.check it out at scionexchange on yahoo or i will e-mail it. i'm in lemont area.
    i also have a large section of citrus plants and cuttings,so
    Bierz e-mail me.

• llnoe
    10 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but would love to get to know some Chicago gardnerers and traders. I'm in Burr Ridge.

• Staska
    9 years ago

Is this group still active? I'm interested in joining! I'm near Dundee.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living