Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
applefan_gw

Can you believe this weather???

applefan
19 years ago

I know the standard advice for Chicago...If you don't like the weather today, just wait till tomorrow...But this is the craziest I have seen in my many years in Suburbia! In Naperville we went from 56 on Wednesday to 8 today. I sincerely hope this is not affecting my plants. I did read that even if bulbs were starting up they would not be affected. Any thoughts??

Jean

Comments (12)

• Janine Starykowicz
    19 years ago

Just over the Indiana border here, it was 66 on Wednesday. I spread the rest of the stored up coffee grounds, added some bubblewrap around pots in the garage. I've got lots of sprouts too, hope they're alright.

Tuesday should be back to average, I can't wait.

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

It really is crazy, isn't it?

4 weeks ago I was having such a good time playing with my compost piles & making raised beds. Those activities were put to a halt because of the weather.

The daffodils were sending up shoots. The Dutch iris were 6"-7" tall. Now they're all frozen.

I am waiting for Brent & Becky's summer catalog to come out so I can order some more lilies......

At least it is sunny...not as gloomy as November, though. sigh...

Just put on another layer of clothes to keep myself warm.... :-(

• applefan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just settled on my tomato seed order...Hope Springs Eternal...(no pun intended!)
    Jean

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

I've read that if your bulbs start coming up and you get really cold weather, the leaves may get damaged. The flowers should be ok unless there are buds, then they may be damaged or die. I've had my irses come up early a few times and then it would get really cold. Some leaves got crinkled, but that was it. They bloomed fine when they were supposed to.

Kat

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

I just went through the Winter Sowing forum. Great idea!

I am going to try that as soon as I can get out to Menards or Home Depot for soil!!!

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

The day it was 67 was a tease..this is totally depressing, 3 degrees at 11:30pm. I don't know how ppl do it in colder climate areas..Toni

• aphilla
    19 years ago

There are colder climate areas?

• applefan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep! I heard someone from Minnesota on the radio the other day...something like 38 below! It must be really beautiful in the summer there...I don't think that would make up for the winters for me....
    Jean

• applefan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just spent a very pleasant 2 hours outside doing my early spring cleanup! I have a hard time cutting back plants that are still green in the fall...the very cold weather zapped them and I was able to snip away at my heart's content in the gorgeous Feb. 5 sunny 50 degree weather. I noticed some crocuses starting up again...I suppose they will just sit there when we go back to colder weather. It certainly felt good to be gardening again...
    Jean

• piegirl
    19 years ago

Ditto applefan - 61 here today so I spaded quite an areas, ouch to the back, then took the pruners to the raspberries - I filled two garbage cans with dead canes, etc. Pulled out tons of ground ivy. Hope to be digging again tomorrow, also put loads of laundry on the clothesline. Piegirl - looking forward to no snow or ice.

• applefan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just checked your My Page and you have great temps in Nebraska...sure hope they are coming to Chicago Suburbia. I can't wait to get outside every day!!!
    Jean

• mrmorton
    19 years ago

Similar to Applefan, I have a hard time cutting certain plants back before winter. Saturday was so beautiful. I was able to get everything(minus grasses, sedum, misc.) cleaned up and cut back. Three yard bags full. Nothing but a big tease, though, as cold weather is settling back in.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting