Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? About using a shade area for cool weather crops

Posted by joytosew 5MO (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 1:43

We are moving to a small farm.
There is an area that sets maybe 30 feet from the house. It is lower ground with a circle of trees around it. The entire inside of the circle is just ground.
I noticed over the summer and fall when we began working on the house, that the area had maybe a good five hours of sun that streamed between the trees.

What I am wondering is if I build raised beds to plant lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and other cool weather vegetables if this would be enough sun for them? Also, because this is really a full shade area the temperature seems to stay lower there all summer is it possible to grow those crops all summer?
I have a grandson with celiac disease and I have gluten allergies. Cauliflower has become a staple in our diet we use heavily. If there is a way I could grow this year round it would certainly help us.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
I wanted to post in this forum in hopes others in my area that know our weather would have some advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? About using a shade area for cool weather crops

My one and only experience with raised beds near trees was disastrous. Within one yr. the fine feeder roots of the trees invaded the raised bed, sucking all the water and life out of whatever I had planted there. I know people think that trees have these huge, deep roots; and I guess they do. But I also have found that most of their 'feeder' roots are in the top few inches of the surrounding soil.
I never knew that cauliflower needed cool weather. In SE WI, where I live, they thrive in sun. If your climate is too hot, I suggest using shade cloth or some other innovative method to keep your plants cooler. Forget planting among the trees please. Sharon in WI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here