Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferrous_gw

Trifoliate Orange spotted in Chicago

ferrous
17 years ago

I was very excited last weekend when I spotted a Trifoliate Orange (Poncirus trifoliata, syn. Citrus trifoliata) in Chicago! I've seen it grow well in zone 6 (Jersey) and 7 (Washington, DC) but never saw this plant in Chicago where I live. It is quite a nice size, right at the Shedd Aquarium gardens, no protection for the winter and it seems it's been there at least two years or so.

I know, one may thing right at the lake, zone 6, etc. but still it's exciting that a citrus is successful in this are.

Anyone else growing this plant around here? I will plan this orange this spring and see what happens. I am more of a zone 5 in the NW side of cook county, just north of O'Hare, we get pretty harsh spells in the cold winter weather. I like to plant borderline plants, I do grow (3rd year) Fushia Magellanica and it blooms more and more every year. This year I left my musa bajsoo in ground and can't wait if it makes it through this winter. Also, I am very happy with Southern Magnolia (Edith Bogue) tha hass been happy in my garden for a third year.

Comment (1)