Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcbarbara

recommended vendors for by-mail purchases?

kcbarbara
16 years ago

Usually I buy my stuff at local nurseries but the best one went out of business and I'm thinking of doing some purchasing by mail. Who has experience with this and can make some recommendations? I'm thinking both plants and seeds.

Comments (7)

• rbrady
    16 years ago

I do at least 75 percent of my plant/seed purchases online. I have had good experiences with the following:
    Jackson and Perkins, Bluestone perennials, Prairie Moon Nursery, Diane's Seeds, Nor'east Miniature Roses, Wayside, and Hardy plants.

There are others, but I can't think of them right now. My personal favorites are Bluestone Perennial (reasonable prices/good variety), Prairie Moon Nursery (native plants) and Diane's (seeds).

You could also check out the rate and review forum (vendor)for other sites and what experiences people have had with them.

Good Luck! Rhonda

• kcbarbara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Rhonda. I didn't know there is a rate and review forum. Guess I should look around a little more!

Barbara

• cosmo1
    16 years ago

White Flower Farm
    Paradise Gardens
    High Country Gardens

Good sources & dependable for plants though not as cheap as some, but their stuff is real nice. Ordered from Jungs for seeds this year, but it's the first time - so we'll see what happens!

• flatlander
    16 years ago

Since you're in Kansas, do yourself a favor and make a trip to Arnolds Greenhouse over by Leroy. They have an open house event around the first of April that's fun. It may be a hike for you but you won't regret the trip. My daughter and I have made it a family trip for about the last 15 years. They have an online catalog but don't sell by mail. If you're looking for vegetable seed, I recommend Baker Creek Heirlooms.

• kcbarbara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, flatlander. I've seen their catalogs and exhibits at the KC Lawn and Garden show but I've never been out there. I'll have to set aside the time to do that this year.

• olliem
    16 years ago

I second the recommendation for Arnold's Greenhouse. They have EVERYTHING!!! and prices are generally less than in the nurseries in my area (near Wichita). I bought over $600 of plants (primarily shrubs and annuals) from them a couple years ago during their open house. The only negative was that some of their annuals were not quite ready at that early date. This year I plan to visit them a few weeks later. Their catalog is also a wonderful research source.

• chiller
    16 years ago

Arnolds Greenhouse is great! However, it is a long way from KC. In Riverside, by RedX is a nursery called Larry's. They buy a lot of their plants from Arnolds. I've been going there for years. They carry many different varieties you cannot find even in local nurseries. Their prices are good. There perennial selection is excellent.