Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trees/Shrubs for Backyard Landscaping Project

Posted by pmsmith2032 Z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 13:46

My wife and I are putting together plans to landscape our backyard this coming Spring and are looking for tree/shrub suggestions. We ideally are looking to improve privacy and have a "northwoods feel". Some of the species we are looking at include:
Paper Birch
River Birch (one already planted at the back of the yard about mid-way from left to right)
Cedar (Red or White)
Maples
Douglas, Balsam, and Frasier Firs
Canadian Hemlock
Dogwoods
Viburnium
Holly
Pines (Jack, Red)
Oaks
Spruce
Winterberry
Lilac
Rose of Sharon
Serviceberry
Redbud

We have a thread on the ladscape design forum that includes many more specifics and includes diagrams and pictures:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0109232924401.html?53

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trees/Shrubs for Backyard Landscaping Project

be careful with birch. I'm not sure what kind I have, but it is sending underground roots-rhisomes? that send up dozens of fast growing birch trees. I can kill them easily, but they just send up more. Quite a pest

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 10:53

Lilacs will give you that absolutely wonderful scent in spring and the viburnium, certain types, have edible fruit.

I would also consider a Catalpa tree and Mulberry.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 11:12

Lilacs will give you that absolutely wonderful scent in spring and the viburnium, certain types, have edible fruit.

I would also consider a Catalpa tree and Mulberry.

o

One very important thing to consider if you think you may eventually want to plant perennials or annuals under your trees, is that some are much more difficult than others to garden under. Some have very greedy tree roots such as maple and it's difficult to grow anything underneath them. That doesn't mean maples are bad trees. It just means that you may want to plan one area with deep rooted trees where you can plant flowers or hostas later, and put your maples in another area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here