Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katielovesdogs

Central Indiana nurseries

katielovesdogs
18 years ago

I'll start the third year with my garden this summer. I am still putting in a lot of beds. I'm going to go to the Central Indiana plant exchange at Holiday Park (if they have it this year) to trade plants and I'm going to mooch from friends (Who have also benefitted from my gardens at previous houses). However, I'm sure that I'll want to buy some plants, too. What are your favorite nurseries in Central Indiana? I enjoy going on fieldtrips to new garden places. My favorites in the Indianapolis area are

Althums

Rosies

Habigs

Soules

Woodlands Edge

the greenhouse at the art museum

but these places are a bit pricey. Do you have any suggestions for outstanding places (especially if they are more affordable)?

My sister likes L&P in Henry County.

Katie

Comments (13)

• deannagv
    18 years ago

My favorite is Allisonville Nursery up in Fishers. I don't know how it ranks on the scale of affordability, but I'm on their mailing list and get some nice coupons every couple of months. They have a great selection, large plant sizes, and everything we've gotten from there has done well.

• fionasol
    18 years ago

I've been pretty pleased with the selection (and the prices, not cheap, but okay for the size of plants they sell, generally) at Eagle Creek Nusery on 80something & Lafayette Rd on the Northwest sides of Indy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eagle Creek Nusery

• jems
    18 years ago

What is the Holliday Park plant exchange and when is it? Can anyone become part of it? Thanks.

The Master Gardeners in Hamilton County have a plant sale every May for one Saturday. This year it is May 21, 2006 from 8-2. It is held in the Annex Building, Hamilton County 4-H Fair Grounds, 2003 E. Pleasant St., Noblesville, Indiana. Also the Indiana Native Plant Society has a sale. It is Saturday, May 13, 2006 at the
    Indiana School for the Blind, 7725 N. College Avenue, Indianapolis.

• plantsnobin
    18 years ago

How about a 2 1/2 hour drive south of Indianapolis to Munchkin Nursery.

• indianaplantlover
    18 years ago

I am 2 hrs south of Indy. Where is Munchkin Nursery? Vicci

• pamven
    18 years ago

Millers in Noblesville for an amazing collection of hostas,daylilies and iris. They have won awards for some of their iris. And best of all the prices are more than affordable. They also sell unusual trees and shrubs. For me, they are well worth the drive down from Fort Wayne.

• fionasol
    18 years ago

Jems,
    The Holliday Park plant swap is open to everyone, and will be sometime next month. We should have a posting up in the get-together forum sometime soon. Holliday Park is at 6363 Spring Mill Rd, Indianapolis, 46260

• ademink
    18 years ago

Pamven hit the nail on the head w/ Miller's - best nursery around! Take 37N to 191st street, turn right and they're on the left side about 2 miles down.

There is also a FABULOUS nursery in Avon - Avon Perennial Gardens - WOW. I think the website is the same as the name if you want to look it up!

Another huge favorite for unusual shade plants is Frady's out past Cumberland on Hwy 40.

• momcat2000
    18 years ago

hey andrea, this is margie b, next time you make a road trip, take me along. i'll buy lunch

• ademink
    18 years ago

Yeah! Sounds like a blast! I'll definitely do it. I want to try to find some new gardens. Maybe we could head to Munchkin (never been there, only picked up stuff at markets) and then hit everything else along the way. Lemme save up some dough and we'll hit the road! :)

• girlfromthegarden
    18 years ago

Re Miller's: what kind of unusual trees and shrubs do they have? I live on the other (west) side of 37 off 191st St. but haven't been out there to see what they have, do you know what their hours are?

(and curious if the Noblesville Millers - high school name - comes from this family connection?)

Sherry
    (not been living in Noblesville long enough, obviously!)

• ademink
    18 years ago

Sherry, no clue on the high school connex. :) They have a ton of unusual evergreen and deciduous shrubs, plus everything else. I really can't name them as they have 4 greenhouse tents as well as a huge holding area. They have hostas, daylilies, a bazillion other unusual shade and sun perennials. Sorry this isn't more helpful but I couldn't begin to list them.

Here is their website w/ some info and you can call for hours: (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Miller's Manor

• plantsnobin
    17 years ago

Sorry I haven't been back here for a while, but Munchkin is located in Milltown, IN. The website is Munchkinnursery.com. Gene Bush is the owner, and they are open by appointment only. He mainly deals in shade plants. It's one of those 'you can't get there from here' kind of places. Milltown is tiny, but there is also a canoe rental place to take a ride down the Blue River. Come on down and enjoy a day in southern IN.