Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will grow in sand?

Posted by redshoe z5IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 15:46

Former owners of our house built a really big platform for an above ground pool. It's full of sand and is on the south side of the property. I thought it might be nice to turn it into some sort of planting area.

It's pretty big and would be a huge undertaking to try and replace all the sand with garden soil, is there any type of plants/grass that would grow well in sand. Perhaps I could mix some soil with the sand.

Would love all suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will grow in sand?

Hi Redshoe,

I found this site that lists plants that like sandy soil, I'll give you the link below. If it was me seeing as how I like Cacti and Succulents I'd incorporate them into a planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy Soil Plant list

o

Conifers also lilke having well drained soil. You can just mix in some topsoil & compost and have a great bed and grow most anything, except stuff that really likes water. Take advantage of the sand, it is better than clay.

o

Redshoe,
You can grow many things in sand. Many saliva species, and all xeric plants will love the sand. Check out www.highcountrygardens.com
All those plants will love your sandy soil. You can make it a very lush green garden with the plants they sell, or incoporate trunking yuccas which look very tropical, cacti, and agaves will also all love the sand.

Kyle

o

I have an old sandbox built in to the ground from whnen my kids were little. I have been growing allysum there for about 4 years now.

o

Live in New Brusnwick Canada. I have a backyard fill with sand due to a flood we had last year... I wanted to plant some tree or flower that would grow in the sand. Can you help me out... much appreciated.

o

Plant a pine tree, or any type of conifer. I have also run across a list of plants that are drought-tolerant. But, you may also want to cross-reference them as to which are tolerant to the climate zone that you live in. New Brunswick has harsh winters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Can Plants Grow in Sand?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here