Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need compost info from fellow Buckeyes

Posted by Rachel_431 Central Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 05 at 15:48

I read somewhere that you can often times get compost for free from the city. (I'm assuming they mean what the city does with all those leaves they send trucks out to pick up from piles near the street) Has anyone else heard of this, or better yet, has anyone aquired compost this way?

I live in Columbus, Ohio and would be thrilled if this were an option for me. Are there any fellow buckeyes out there who have any info on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need compost info from fellow Buckeyes

I think that all or most of the compostables in Fanklin County end up at one of the two SWACO composting facilities. SWACO contracts with private companies to run those facilities and those companies get to sell the product as part of their compensation. Last summer, I believe Ohio Mulch sold compost for about $20 per cubic yard, in bulk, at Roberts Road. They may also sell it at their other locations and maybe in smaller amounts. Kurtz Brothers has a location near Hilliard and may have others. Give them a call. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: SWACO composting

o
RE: Need compost info from fellow Buckeyes

Thanks a lot :)
I'll check that out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here