Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeneastcolo

Process of changing 3 acres of native grass/weeds to buffalo gras

jeneastcolo
14 years ago

My husband and I just purchased a 3 acre lot in eastern colorado, elevation 4100 feet. It currently is covered with native grasses and weeds, which we worked hard at mowing to a manageable level last summer, and kept it short. We were hoping any natural buffalo grass would start to thicken and take over. However, it looks like whatever grass is there would be too prickly and not thick enough for the cover we were hoping for.

We want something that requires no additional water, can withstand the hot, windy summers and is soft for feet. We are planning a 150 tree windbreak that will surround the property, as well as a lane of winter king hawthornes down the driveway. There will be a few trees scattered throughout the property as well. Most of the lot will be in full sun, at least for quite a few years, until the trees reach full maturity.

It seems as though other area farms are filled with what I always thought was buffalo grass, a short carpet like grass that is not nearly as deep green as blue grass, requires little to no water, and when it is allowed to get to mature height, gets 5-8" tall with the seeding. I thought this is what we wanted, but in my searches, have found the pictures of buffalo grass to be much greener, and look much more like a lawn. Anyway, I am first wondering what would be a good grass, and second wondering what are the steps we need to follow in order to plant this grass on this large of an area.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Comment (1)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Your county extension agent would be best able to help you as they are familiar with soils and other cultural conditions.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU Extension

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor