Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose recommendations for KC area

Posted by ziyakr 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 17:59

I am reworking my landscaping (such a fancy word for what's in my yard) and have spaces for 3 rosebushes. I'm planning on 2 double red knockouts (boring maybe, but I want a sure thing) and am looking for recommendations for the 3rd. I prefer large good looking shrubs that bloom alot but are easy to take care of, my sister is insisting on pink and likes the tea-rose look. I've been reading the rose forums and am getting a little overwhelmed...any local gardeners have favorites?

Thanks, Ziya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose recommendations for KC area

Ziya,
You might consider Zepherine Drouhin, although I don't know about the tea rose look. It has a classic rose fragrance that is scrumptious. You will find it listed as a climbing rose, but in the KC area it doesn't act like a climber. I grow mine as bushes instead. I have 2 and they have done very well here. Adolf Horstmann isn't pink (it's a yellow blend) but it would look stunning against your Knock Outs. Horstmann has it all: lots of huge blooms, fragrance, and the blooms last a long time when cut. It's also got good resistance to black spot.

Good luck picking just one rose-- that's tough to do!

o

I'd noticed Zepherine Drouhin in the catalogs, but find the idea of climbers intimidating...nice to know that it doesn't have to climb. The one I'm most seriously considering is a shrub/buck called Quietness. It'll be on the other side of the driveway from the Knockouts, assuming I can find one of course.

o

Just to update...I did find a Quietness source and planted all 3 rosebushes about a month ago. All 3 have more than doubled in size, and the Quietness has 3 buds on it! Everyone says you should cut off the first few blooms to encourage growth, don't know that I have the courage for that LOL

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 9:08

Hi ziyakr ~ how are your roses coming along after the unusual Summer we went thru? I posted on Rose Forum about the possible delayed reaction to the heat~wave & so many roses are indeed reacting in sad ways just when the cool-down is upon us. Then there is the threat of RRDisease ~ sigh!

I too planted & relocated a few roses this year & roses I got last year as babies were set in ground ~ many are still going thru the yellow foliage & some have black spots. My 2 beautiful Yellow Submarines blooms are getting attacked now by yellow lady-bugs that the JBs didn't even touch.

BTW I do clip blooms & new buds flush faster!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here