Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Chicago Flower Show - Are you going?

bellarosa
18 years ago

I know that its not until March, but are you planning on going to the Chicago Flower Show? I go every year and look forward to visiting the different exhibits and vendors. The only thing I don't like is the traffic! I can't wait until March rolls around 'cause I love gardening and miss it so much!

Comments (14)

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

I used to go when I lived in Hyde Park, but my husband graduated from the U of C, and we moved 50 miles west. I haven't been downtown in a long time. It's an amazing production; I always marvel at how they bring every blade of grass and ounce of dirt into the convention hall.

We moved here from Arizona, where you can have outdoor exhibits all times of year if you don't mind the heat in summer, and so I was really impressed at the lengths they go to to put on this show. It's a great example of the City of Big Shoulders attitude.

Now that we are so far west, though, I wish there would be something like it at the Arboretum instead. We are members there and visit often, but I wouldn't mind an early-Spring extravaganza like that, LOL. It's really too much to ask, I know.

• motria
    18 years ago

It was such a dud last year that I resolved not to go again. Too much hassle for too little reward.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I must be a gardennut 'cause we although we live 60 miles NW of Chicago, we go every year. I think last year's show was good. Motria, why do you think it was a dud? What's missing from the show? I'm not too crazy about some of the vendors. I mean what does commercial floor mops and squeegies have to do with gardening?

• monarae_gw
    18 years ago

Could someone give the date to this in Chicago?
    I am heading out that way in March for classes, and would love it if it was at the same time!
    Thanks!

MonaRae

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

Show Schedule
    Saturday, March 11 - Sunday, March 19

Show Hours
    Monday - Sunday 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.
    Sunday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Show Theme
    "Capacity For Invention."
    Admission Weekends Weekdays
    Adults $14 $12
    Children (Ages 4 - 12) $6 $5

For further information about the Show, call 312/222-5086.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Flower and Garden Show website

• motria
    18 years ago

bellarosa - I found the choice of plants in most of the designs to be uninteresting. My favorite thing to see in a garden tour/show is an unusual, different plant. At last year's show nearly all the plants were ho-hum bedding annuals; nearly all were 1-foot and smaller; mostly begonias and such. It's worth it, though, if you mainly want to be surrounded by green living things in late winter and are not expecting to be wowed by some funky new plants.

• monarae_gw
    18 years ago

Thanks for the information. I won't be there that week!
    Dang it!!!!!
    Any suggestions for places to go while I am there. I will be there the first weekend of March. Hate being cooped up in a motel room all the time. Of course, I do go out and see the regular sites, but I am already getting spring fever!!! lol!

Thanks!

MonaRae

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Visit the Lurie Garden in Millennium Park, monarae. I can't remember what it looked like last March, but it was gorgeous all summer & fall. Right now it does not look too bad either. It is a Piet Oudolf garden and right in downtown Chicago on Michigan Ave. at Monroe/Columbus. You can't go wrong there. If you drive, you might want to visit the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe. It is beautiful at any time of year.

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

No,
    I don't think I'll go back anytime soon. I liked the broken down castle look they had going 3? yrs ago. 2 yrs ago the blue glass exhibit was ridiculous as was the giant human? made from garden pots. I'm all for creativity as long as it's attractive. My hubby was relieved to know I wouldn't haul him there anymore.

I did find a few lovely ideas and it is nice to walk around flowers in March. I can't say it really gives you a good idea of what is possible in an IL garden as everythning there has come from other climates where conditions might me optimal to get a plant much bigger than is possible here.

I then tried the Quad city garden show last year and decided.... I'd rather go to nurseries, arboretums, and garden walks, and save the price of admission/gas to spend on a plant or two or three:)

Karen

• kec01
    18 years ago

Rumor has it that there's going to be a flower show in Millenium Park sometime this spring/summer and that most of the past top award winners from the Chicago show will be displaying there. The rumor mill didn't have a date for this outdoor show, though. I'd never been before this year and was disappoinbted. Lots of everyday run of the mill flowers and alot of area to walk around in (ie. few displays).

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

From the Chicago Park District website calendar of events:

Garden in a City - Urban Horticulture and Greening Show
    This new, in-ground show will feature practical, grassroots approaches to gardening in urban areas and small spaces, and showcase how greening of rooftops and public spaces improves our communities and quality of life. The show is being organized by the Chicago Park District, City of Chicago, and the Parkways Foundation, the Park DistrictÂs philanthropic partner. Target, the presenting sponsor, will feature its new Smith & Hawken for Target collection at an on-site boutique.

Date: 05/13/06 - 05/21/06
    Start Time: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
    Schedule Notes: HOURS: Mon-Sat 10am - 8pm, Sunday 10am - 6pm. FEES: Adults $10 Sa.&Sun., $8 weekdays. Children 6-16yrs $5 Sa.&Sun., $4 weekdays. Seniors $7 all days. Children 5 & under are free.
    Cost: Varies

V., keeper of the rumor mill

• kec01
    18 years ago

Thank you, V. This one I'm going to make a point to attend!

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm definitely going to the Garden in the City show at Grant Park. I think its going to be great!

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Thank you. I definitely will take a half day off work to wander down there.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21