Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Chicago area plant swaps?

sheltieche
17 years ago

Looking forward to any future spring early summer Chicago area

swaps. Anything that is annual event one can pretty much count on?

I have been growing plants from seeds for several years. This year proves to be very sucessful, my indoor set up lights are full and I have good amount of seeds outdoor for winter sowing.

Since my garden is full I am positively will be looking for people to give my seedlings to, mostly I grow plants for shade, some natives and such.

I live north suburb of Chicago.

Comments (13)

• tcs1366
    17 years ago

I'm just getting into the "seed thing" and just starting to browse for seeds. (Hope i'm not getting a late start for wintersowing)

I have some IDOT property behind my house where i'm planning on doing a lot of sunflowers and wild flowers.

Though i'm always interested in colorful flowers for the north side of my home, where i don't have much color.

Honestly -- i'd be interest in any freebies.... or just tips.

oh - i'm just west of Ohare.

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

hi lindalana. I moved to the NW suburbs of Chicago September last year, from the Dallas area. We had spring and fall swaps there which were great. I'd be very interested in any up here. I have lots of area for new plants, and am trying some wintersowing and also some greenhouse growing of seeds, so hope to have stuff to share. Gardening here will be pretty different from Texas, so meeting some experienced chicago area gardeners would be great.

Alicia

• stage_rat
    17 years ago

Last year, late winter, there were posts mentioning a possible Chicago-area swap. But nothing happened! I'd really love to do a swap. Extra seedlings (flowers and veggies), perennial divisions, and maybe even seeds? Please, let's make it happen this spring!

I live in NW Indiana, but I go to Lombard frequently. I don't mind if the swap is nowhere near there, though. I wonder if the Chicago Botanical Garden people would get mad if we just showed up and did a swap in their parking lot? :)

• phyl345
    17 years ago

i live in libertyville ... keep us posted .. phyl

• gonativegal
    17 years ago

tcs1366,

Hi, I saw your post. I was thinking of PMing you on the other forum on Dave's about same idea - a plant swap.

I think having a plant swap is a really great idea.

Stagerat, I think that would be too funny having a swap in the parking lot of the Botanic gardens maybe during one of their expensive plant sales? Just kidding, I know it's to raise money for a good cause but nevertheless.

But yeah, I guess there needs to be a good middle ground because there's folks from the North, South, Indiana and west suburbs. Maybe even a forest preserve somewhere in between. I noticed on Dave's that that's what they do in the Kansas City area.

In the spring I've usually got lots of seedlings, some divisions of native prairie, woodland plus annuals later on. I've got some seeds from a season ago that I would like to trade as well.

After looking at the garden center prices even at the big box stores, this would definately be worth the gas money and effort to organize something.

• susan926
    17 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Count me in - I'm in Long Grove and would love to be included!
    Some of us from the wintersowing forum meet in the Woodfield area at the CPK and exchange seeds clippings or whatever. Give a holler if you want to be included when we do it this year.
    SUS

• dirtdiver
    17 years ago

A year or two back there was a guy on the far north side of Chicago who mentioned that there was a regular neighborhood plant swap near him every spring, but I didn't go. Maybe you can lure him out, either here or the Great Lakes forum.

I don't think you'd want to do a swap at the CBG plant sale--it's usually a mob scene, and the parking is expensive if you're not a member! I can also imagine the staffers and security people that tool around in golf carts giving you the gimlet eye.

I don't do all that much "winter sowing" outdoors, but I do start a fair amount of perennials, open-pollinated tomatoes and some annuals indoors under the lights. I usually start more than I have room for as well. (And Lindalana--I've seen your postings in other forums, and I think you sow some interesting things.) I'd be curious to know about the Woodfield trade or anything else.

I'm in the nearest of near-north suburbs.

• motria
    17 years ago

Count me in! I'm on Chicago's NW side, but would be okay to travel to nearby north/west/northwest suburbs.

• susan926
    17 years ago

Calling all Northern Illinois WInter Sowers....
    This is a copy of the message I posted on the wintersowing forum:
    Hi Guys,
    Last year several of us met for dinner at the CPK in Schaumburg,& we had a blast!!!! We exchanged knowledge, experiences, seeds, plants, cuttings & a wonderful evening closing down the restaurant. How about if we plan on another one this year? Cheryl has evening classes until the second week in May, so lets plan on Thursday May 10, at about 6:30. Shoot an email my way if you will be joining us. SUSAN

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bumping up post
    hopefully we get to do some nice meeting and swap some plants- I certainly looking forward to it.
    Dirtdiver, is there anything special you are looking for?
    If it germinated for me this year I might be able to share.
    I posted list on WS forum what extras I have available right now, will add to it later.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    16 years ago

I live in Palatine, and I'd definitely be interested in taking part in a swap. In fact, I was just browsing & signed up here because of this particular message :)

• edibles
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I just saw this post and would be interested in coming though I'm not sure what I can offer.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kirimarie,
    Please email me if you interested in plant swap, your email is not enabled. We had great fun at Schaumburg meeting and currently I will be hosting another plant swap here at Skokie.