Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spitting into the wind...err...weather

Posted by smom40 5MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 22:16

I know it's nuts but I did it anyway. I planted like 75 more spring bulbs the other day.

How could I not? It was 70 blessedly lovely degrees out and felt like California. I was insane. I grabbed my remaining bulbs out of the garage and went for it.

Mulched them good and several hours later, some lovely warm rain.

It would be one thing if the weather is freezing, but it certainly is not. I'm telling myself not to be disappointed if none of them come up...but the urge to get my hands in the dirt was too strong.

How on earth am I ever going to get used to zone FIVE? How can I not garden year 'round?

(Now go ahead and laugh at me. I know that I deserve it!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spitting into the wind...err...weather

The bulbs will be fine, you done good :-) If they had stayed in the garage, then they would have died. Or, at least some would. They need our cold winters.

Now please go scrounge some used Christmas trees (this takes a bit of getting used to,) trim the branches off, and use those branches as mulch. This darn back and forth weather sometimes let the bulbs break dormancy too soon. The mulch keeps them colder, so they stay dormant. Oh, put the branches on AFTER things have gotten colder. The point is to keep the cold in the ground. Then pull the branches off a little at a time, when things are warming back up in spring.

The year before I started doing this, we had a mild winter, my bulbs sprouted up in February! And got froze off in late March. Very few blooms that year, and lots didn't come back the next year either. So, now I've learned to toss those Christmas trees in the back of the van.

No one minds me taking the trees, the village would just be picking them up to shred into mulch, which they give away, so I'm just saving them the trouble. (Betcha didn't know you were going to get HOMEWORK??)

Welcome to Zone 5

o

Homework? Story of my life! LOL

My own tree is still up because of a three year old with a fetish for Christmas. But after working on him the last few days that Santa WILL remember him next year, even if we take down our tree, I'm hoping that he'll let me take it down today...and I'll be pruning off those branches for the bulbs. Big fat spruce, lots of branches.

The fact that any could come up and survive after planting at the end of December seems like a miracle. Thanks for giving me some information that might help that happen. :)

o

Tell him it's time to tuck the tulips in bed ;-) And spruce is their favorite blanket.

Santa says.

o

You've got to be a mother! :D

Thanks, I'll quote you exactly... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here