Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forget-Me-Nots and Daffodils

Posted by Carrie77 z6 St. Louis MO (peapods@mailaka.net) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 0:10

I planted about 30 daffodil bulbs (an assortment) around my mailbox this last fall. I am seeing them start to poke up through the mulch.

I was at Wal-Mart this weekend and I saw a seed packet for only 10 cents for 250 Forget-Me-Not seeds. I love these flowers! I was planning on planting some seeds around my daffodils because I read somewhere that they compliment them well.

Has anyone tried this? It says I can't plant them into the ground until April..and I am kind of wondering if this will be too late? I can't seem to remember when daffodils bloom, I know they seem to come up before most tulips.

I wasn't sure if anyone has tried this..

Thanks!
Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forget-Me-Nots and Daffodils

You can scatter them now directly among and around the daffodils.

They'll sprout as soon as the soil warms up or you can sow them in a milk jug or a plastic container with a lid. Slit holes in the bottom and the lid for drainage and ventilation, set the container outside. The container acts as a mini greenhouse and protect the seeds from getting washed away. Check the Winter Sowing forum FAQ for details.

I actually have not sown forget-me-nots this late. I let them seed themselves in late spring/early summer. They will bloom the following spring at the same time as late blooming Tulips, not daffodils. My daffodils come up earlier than tulips and I have the early-mid-late blooming daff as well as early-mid-late blooming Tulips.

You are in a warmer zone than mine. Your blooming season may be earlier and different.

Good luck. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here