Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
combing sweet potato and morning glory's

Posted by lary1047 z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 1:06

Hi everyone!!
We have a question, we don't plant many annuals, however we have a new trellis for our porch this upcoming summer 2006. Can we plant sweet potato vine and morning glory's together. We thought this would give us good color of sweet potato bright yellow green and the various colors from the morning glory's. Also since our season is somewhat short in SE Michigan would we get a nice look. We would buy them from a local store that has already started them.

Any suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: combing sweet potato and morning glory's

As you can see, I live in z4 also. I plant the sweet potatoe vine every summer in a huge pot out front. I also like to plant morning glories on the side of my front porch. For me, the morning glory is at it's best in August. I wish it's season was longer as I love them but not in southern SD. Whereas, my potatoe vine has been growing all summer. Maybe if you start your mg vine indoors so it can be well established before transplanting it, you could have them at the same time. My mg vines are much thinner and more fragile than the sp vines. I love them both but have not actually tried them on the same trellis. I have also mixed the mg vine with the cup and saucer vine. They are both late summer vines for me. Well, have fun experimenting.

o
RE: combing sweet potato and morning glory's

I never knew that sweet potato could grow up vine. I've only ever seen then used as trailing plants.

But maryz4 is right you could start your MG indoors early and get them a leg up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here