Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Free guinea pigs droppings for your garden

pitimpinai
19 years ago

Hey! Hey! Hey! Gardeners in Chicago southern suburbs & NW Indiana!!

Check out the guinea pig rescue in Chicago Heights. The people who run it have 3 large garbage bags of goodies to give away everyday: guinea pigs' droppings, beddings, newspapers, & hays. They have to pay big $ to have them hauled away. I received permission to give you this magic e-mail address:

Zoo357@aol.com

I posted this info. in the soil forum too. I wish the rescue were closer to me. :-(

Comments (6)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I'm debating about tomorrow. I am going over to the home of a rabbit rescuer, and will help her set up a compost bin made of chicken wire, as she is a newbie to composting. But, my dillema, do I take the free bunny poop she offered? Oh, the dillemma! I think I'll see how much she has on hand. I want her bin to get off to a good start, but with 11 foster bunnies, she'll be making frequent contributions.

Pitimpinai, where have you been lately? I been missing you! You are probably getting geared up for spring down there. Still snow cover up here. But the last few snows have been so pretty, and it will help resupply the depleted water tanle after three years of relatively dry weather.
    cantstopgardening

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi cantstop,
    Bunny poos! I can see your dilemma. :-) It is great that the rabbit rescuer is starting up with composting. I hope she gets as addicted as I am. I am eyeing everybody's leftover everywhere I go, getting so annoyed with all the wasted food!.....:-) And do you know what? While I was walking in downtown Toronto a couple days ago, I spotted a pile of horse manure....now talking about dilemma! I wanted so badly to scoop it up!

Yup, the busy season is beginning...rather slowly, though with the warm spells alternating with snow and cold ones. I made sidings for 2 additional raised beds at the temple a couple weeks ago when it was around 60 degrees. I started to fill them with composting materials. I want to make another bed, but it's been so cold....brrrr...and snowing off and on almost everyday.

A poster at the SCM forum offered to take me to a stable & composting facility in her village. It sounds like a place for aged manure & compost.....my kind of heaven. :-P Now that company has left, I am geared to go haul compost & manure. My husband is going to have a cow if he gets a whiff of it. Tee..hee...

The rabbit rescuer will probably have too much rabbit poos. Boy, are you lucky. :-D

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I'm so glad you're still here. How was Toronto? I understand that dillema about the horse poo, but compost inspectors would probably have to be involved. :-)

I would love to get DH to go to Canada, don't know exactly where, but he can't make up his mind about vacations. (He wants to go someplace for about two weeks, then he's moved on to wanting to go somewhere else. I can't keep up, so I just nod and give him a mmhmmm...when he brings up new travel ideas. And the funny thing is, we actually don't go all that much, and I'm usually the driving force behind it.

So, if we were to go to Canada, where would everyone suggest? Two teenagers also, one loves military and history, other loves animals (horses, dogs, rabbits.)Husband loves music, lately into blues. (We are going to see BB King soon.) And you know I cantstopgardening.

(Sorry about the hi-jack of this thread Pitimpinai. I'll probably have to pay you back in poo. Darn!)

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Canada is SO BIG......there are so many things to see and do.

We have made seveveral visits there. Each is unique in itself. This time we took my family from abroad to the Niagara Falls and Toronto. madmagic on the SCM forum very kindly and generously gave us a walking tour of his favorite neighborhoods....ones a stranger would never think or know of visiting. We had a fabulous time.

When we were in Alberta a couple years ago, we went to a rodeo, up to Banff & Jasper National Parks, Oil sands in upper Alberta. Missed out the big dinosaur museum and the pitographs. Visited the Police Dog Training center. We stopped at the RCMP Training Academy in Regina, Saskatchewan and Canada Mint in Winnipeg on the way home.

What I really want to do is going to see polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba, but it is too cold and quite expensive for a weekend.

On another trip, we visited an outdoor museum not far from Ottawa and watched the RCMP in red marching in front of the parliament in Ottawa. There are wonderful museums in Ottawa as well.

Another trip saw us visit Old Fort Williams, I believe it is called, in Thunderbay. I found it the most fun, interesting and best presented of all the ourdoor museums I have ever visited and I have visited quite a few, including Colonial Williamsburg.

The choice is endless. Have fun planning and researching. :-)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Thanks

• dannie
    19 years ago

Yes, it is called Old Fort William and is located in Thunder Bay. While you are in Thunder Bay, you need to visit a few other areas located in and out of Thunder Bay; Mount McKay Look Out, Kakabeka Falls (higher falls than Niagara), Ouimet Canyon, Amethyst mines, Thunder Bay Lookout located out at Sibley Park and the Marina just to name a few of our local highlights. If you come during the winter, we have great skiing both crosscountry and downhill. Summer brings lots of opportunities for swimming, tubing and hiking. Hope this helps you a bit with ideas of where to go in Canada.