Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krazyaroider

Southern Magnolia Cultivar Question

krazyaroider
17 years ago

Hello Midwest Gardeners -

I have a Southern Magnolia cultivar that was sent as a mistake due to an order for Magnolia macrophylla. The nursery that sent it was Appalachian Gardens before they went wholesale around 10 years ago. Any one ever order from them?

I grew the tree in a pot for a couple of years, then I learned about hardy cultivars so I planted it outside. I figured why not (plant it outside) as the nursery is located in Waynesboro, PA near the Poconos. There is a hardy Southern Magnolia cultivar called  PoconosÂ.

My tree has long, leaves with light green tomentum on the undersides. I have since contacted Appalachian Nursery, to no response to what cultivar it may be...

I packed it with leaves for the first two winters in the ground, this year I left it on it s own -

It is completely covered with snow ever since the temps dropped, the tree itself is about 4 feet tall. I am wondering if it is Edith Bogue as the leaves are long, sort of a rectangular shape, with no blossoms since I had it.

I also have on order from Forest Farm Nursery - 1 ÂEdith Bogue and 1 Bracken s Brown Beauty Southern Magnolia.

I had a Bracken s Brown Beauty Southern Magnolia from Carroll Gardens. It grew good for two years, then the bottom graft died and the tree slowly declined and died. This tree did bloom - only had 2/3 blossums. I did not know it was grafted until I noticed the top portion (2/3 inches from ground) was larger when it was beyond help. I protected this tree well during the winter.

Thank you

Gerry

Hamburg, NY - near Buffalo