Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notacop

Fast Growing Very Tall Privacy Conifers?

notacop
18 years ago

I tried searching but did not quite find any solid answers.

I am moving into a new house in Petersburg, IL (20 miles NW of Springfield). The house is on about 1/2 acre wedge shaped lot. Along the back is a main highway, but due to the slope of the lot it is far down.

I want to plant a row of trees that will give year round privacy from the highway as well as block some of the sound. The back of the lot is about 200 ft from the back of the house. Because of the distance and the slope something 20ft+ would be best, as tall as 50ft would be even better. I figured conifer is my best bet for year round coverage, something nice and dense to block some of the road noise would be even better. I am looking for something very fast growing because of the needed height, I would like decent coverage within a few years, if it takes 20 years to get to the height I want, that does not do me a whole lot of good.

The slope of the yard increases a bit more at the back of the lot where I want to plant the trees. An added benefit of the tree line will be the lack of the need to mow back there. From what the current owner says it can get a bit tricky with a ride on mower.

I am not sure of the soil acidity. As far as the soil, alot of the terminology is beyond me. It is not sandy, and the central IL area is best known for its fertile soil, but I cannot speak to the specific abilities there, as I am still a month away from closing on the house.

The trees would get full sun the majority of the time. Weather here ranges from -20 degree windchills at the coldest and 100+ with high humidity at the hottest.

I would like something hardy and maintenance free, the ron popiel method "set it and forget it". I am not opposed to single species or mixed.

Some of the ones I have come across that seem to be reasonable options:

Emerald Arborvitae

Dawn Redwood

Douglas Fir

Eastern Red Cedar

Norway Spruce

Can you comment on these or perhaps suggest better options?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Emerald Arborvitae is supposed to grow to 15' at the most, so it won't serve the purpose you want. Its cousin, "Green Giant' might be the answer. It's supposed to grow to 30'.
    I have 'Emerald'. It grows quite dense and fast enough for me. I need to tie the multiple trunks in winter, though, because they will bend down every which way under snow. If you can find a single trunk tree, you'll eliminate that trouble.

Dawn Redwood is deciduous. You'll lose the noise and view barrier in winter.

I don't have experience with other trees. My garden is too small for them. A small blue spruce came with the house, but I had to remove it after 15 years because it grew too large for the spot.
    Good luck with your choice. I think a few different kinds of conifers might be more beautiful and interesting than just one kind. They give you different colors, shapes and textures.

• joandaugh
    18 years ago

Hi pitimp. You remind me of a problem I have in my yard. I have some kind of multiple trunk evergreen (could be arborvitae) in a couple of places and I see that they have suffered snow damage; one was last winter and another this winter. Is there any hope for them--should I tie them up permanently (I see maybe I should have tied them before winter) and will they still grow OK, or should I consider replacing them? It seems like if they are replaced, it should be with something a little heartier. I feel bad for these guys but it doesn't seem it was practical to plant them in the first place, whoever did.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I want to tie them permanently too, but kinda wondered if they would be constricted. I think if they are not tightly tied, they should have room to grow. I love them though. They are so pretty, especially in winter. I have 3 in my backyard at different places. I wouldn't know which conifer to grow in a small yard like mine. Others are too big. I also have a few dwarf conifers that I love to look at in winter.

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

I can't vouch for how fast they grow, but Norway spruce grow VERY tall and are great privacy barriers. Ours were probably planted when the house was built (50 years ago) and, until we limbed them up, the branches hung nearly to the ground. They are great for screening. They DO drop a lot of litter (cones and branches) and the roots snake along the surface. Between the shade and the root competition, you may have problems underplanting the spruce.

• maryamatney
    18 years ago

I have planted numerous Black Hills Spruce trees in my yard,they were about one foot tall when planted. They are now about 15 to 20 feet tall, after about 10 years.Also, I planted alot of Colorado Blue Spruce trees,one in particular was about 3 foot tall when planted, now it is close to 25 feet tall. Mary

• mreecen_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Try this website.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiantT2.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: fast growing trees

• mriesen
    17 years ago

You may want to try this website as well.
    The tree name is Arbor Vitae - Green Giant.
    It grows in zone 5 which I believe you are in.
    I live in Davis, IL which is zone 4 but I was considering getting some to provide privacy between our house and the neighbors.
    Arborvitae - Green Giant Facts
    Mature Height :40 to 50 feet
    Mature Spread :15 to 18 feet
    Mature Form :Tightly pyramidal
    Growth Rate :Rapid
    Sun Exposure :Full Sun - Partial Sun
    Soil Moisture :Widely adaptable
    Soil Type :Widely adaptable
    Foliage Color :Green
    Fall Color :Green
    Zones :4 - 8
    http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/productdetails.aspx?proname=Arborvitae+-+Green+Giant

• oakleif
    17 years ago

We used eastern red cedar in Texas,zone 7,for a privacy fence it still took several years but made a great and tall complete privacy fence. We're in zone 6 now but still alot of eastern cedar around.
    oakleif

• j-stout_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

The emerald green arborvitae are great but there are two problems.
    Problem 1: Slow grower. They only grow 4-6" a year maximum so if you buy them small it will take a long time to get to 6 ft.
    Problem 2: Dear love them. One year the dear ate everything off of them but the tree still survived.