Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzzbeedd

Central Illinois Plant/Seed Exchange

buzzbeedd
14 years ago

Hey Folks!

Short story - long...Last week I went to the post office to mail my first SASBE. Mostly, I wanted to get the local rules on size and postage. While talking with the postmistress about what and why I was sending, she mentioned that the post office employees regularly share seeds and plants in the spring. I do the same; only because I can't stand the thought of them going to waste.

In six years, only once has anyone else shared. Usually I leave whatever I have to offer in the break room and it disappears. Every spring I take my extra seeds and plants to work. I rarely get feedback or even a "thank you".

Since then, I've seen a few posts from Illinois gardeners and the recent thread on plant swaps. How do you find out about local swaps? (I would much rather give my extras to to a more enthusiastic crowd.) I have seen posts from Chicago area groups. I'm looking for something closer to cental Illinois. Are there any Peoria area/ east of the river groups? Bloomington/Normal? Chambana?

A few people have suggested I visit the local farmer's markets; sell my stuff or trade it with vendors. But, I'm fearful of that sort of environment... I'm really not looking for profit or competition. A more relaxed relationship, sharing the experience/love of gardening...GW in the flesh within a days drive!! :)

Anyway, thanks for reading. DD

Comments (2)