Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

tough flowers for grave site?

Carol_Ann
18 years ago

I want to plant some perennial flowers and/or bulbs on my dad's grave site in west central Indiana. It'll be awhile since we don't have the headstone set yet, but I want to plan ahead a little. Whatever I plant won't get any special care -- just put it in and let it do it's thing -- I'm on the west coast and won't be able to nurture things along. I'm thinking easy bulbs (like daffs). Any other thoughts? If I could plant something he loved, it would be corn :) but otherwise it's just whatever I like that will do ok.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (10)

• santacltr2
    18 years ago

I planted Crocus around my Dad's and they come up every year. I live in Illinois zone 5 it can get to -25 below they still come up. We can't do anything else they would get mowed over. Rules you know.

Nancy

• putzer
    18 years ago

Hosta, especially the one with scented flowers. Daffs and crocus would both be beautiful!

• terryr
    18 years ago

I'd make sure first it's alright to plant anything. Here, it isn't allowed.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it's all right to plant things. I asked about regulations first thing.

Thanks for the thoughts so far! Many hostas will burn in the full sun but I love the idea of a small foliage plant mixed in with the bulbs... hmmmm....

• hawki
    18 years ago

A traditional plant in some of the old graveyards here in the midwest is the fern leaf peony (piney). It stays small, can live for a long time with no attention, and the foliage dies back, and it goes underground when the weather gets hot and dry, rather than flopping about.

• plant_nanny
    18 years ago

What a nice idea! Some of the new roses might fit the bill. The Carpet Flower roses require almost nothing - I have the coral one in my yard and it thrives on neglect. Some of the interesting foilage sedums would look good both in flower and out. The seed heads would be nice in winter too. You could think multiple flowerings here - early crocus, species tulips (tarda), late dafs, low shrub roses and sedums. That would work, I think.

• cheryloz4
    18 years ago

How about some sedums or succulants? They don't require allot of attention or water.

• KansasKathy
    18 years ago

I have tried both peonies and irises for my dad's grave site. Both are common in cemetaries around where he lived in rural KS. Unfortunately although it is allowed to plant things at that cemetary it seems to also be the rule that if the plant is small enough to mow over without damage to the mower it's a goner.

• Oswegian
    18 years ago

Daylilies would be nice, I think. And they are practically indestructible. I have the usual Stella d'Oro's, but they are really workhorses and very pretty.

If it is dry, they just don't get so big or bloom so much. The lady across the street has them next to her concrete walk, and she never waters -- not even last summer. They like heat. Mine are next to a walk, too.

I water them, but we measured the temperature in that spot before we planted things there, and it was over 100 degrees right there in that bed on that summer day.

• stage_rat
    18 years ago

I like all the ideas so far, and only wanted to add a suggestion of a hardy mum, for fall color.

Also, some hostas seem to do fine in full sun, as I've seen from different intentional or unintentional plantings. So if you really like the idea of a hosta, it can be done. I don't know the name of a full-sun one, but the ones I've seen in full sun were the lighter/striped ones.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting