Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thawing frozen ground

Posted by daisy_me Z6 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 12:28

I need to dig a post hole this weekend but the ground is well frozen. Any suggestions on how to thaw a spot large enough to dig with a post hole digger?

Yes, I know, totally wrong time of year for this....but it's unavoidable. The snow plow came through this week and broke my mailbox post so I have to put in a new one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thawing frozen ground

You could try a glass cold frame over the area....if there is enough sunlight, this will heat the area by about 20.

Or, slowly pouring hot water on the area....

o

• Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 19:14

Can you wait a week? Starting Monday, it'll get above freezing and about 40-ish in the latter part of the week.. that's the Chicago forecast, at least. Good luck!

o

Or use a temporary post? There are some that come with a concrete cone for a base that just sit on the ground... you probably already have your hole dug but just in case you're looking for options I thought I'd throw that out....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here