Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandaceshirley

any signs of spring?

kandaceshirley
16 years ago

since it's been over zero for a couple days here, I thought I'd scout the yard and see if I could determine which plants bit the dust this winter. To my surprise I found 1, just one, but one - green clover and some green creeping charlie (it figures - I just can't get rid of that!) - but these are small signs of spring - I wish I'd planted more crocuses (used to be my dependable sign, but I moved a few years ago and haven't planted any in my yard here yet) - anyone seen any other small signs that spring is coming?

Comments (5)

• rbrady
    16 years ago

Unfortunately none here. Still too much snow cover on the ground to see anything turning green. Soon, I hope.

Rhonda

• kcbarbara
    16 years ago

Yes, surprisingly. The daffodils are beginning to break through and I spotted one teeny weeny glimmer of green where the tulips will (hopefully) eventually emerge. I saw some fresh green among a couple of daylilies too.

It is supposed to be very nice this Saturday and I plan to take advantage of it to prune my red twig dogwood and maybe the clematis' as well. Can't wait to get my hands dirty again!

• kandaceshirley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did some wintersowing this week (probably too late, I know), but I also scoped out my yard some more since the snow was melting (and leaving huge mud puddles) and found green leaves on some of my flowers (not tulips, crocuses or spring flowers). There was too much snow yet to tell exactly what they were -some type of asparagus ferny type leaves - but they were definately very green! WOOHOO!!!

• finchelover
    16 years ago

Well,about 2 weeks ago my sedum was coming up so I covered them slightly and then we had a snow. Finally,it is melting. Today and tomorrow should do the trick. I will take a walk around house tomorrow to see if my real early bulbs are coming up. My husband said awhile ago the ice under the snow is melting.....I am so ready for Spring.

• kcbarbara
    16 years ago

Kandituft, I did some winter sowing this week too. How could it be too late? Anything sown in December would have been frozen all this time anyway so I figure this is about when the seeds and dirt would start heating up.

Today I spread bloodmeal around the bulbs that are starting to show up. Last fall I put in a new group of tulips and laid chicken wire down over the patch to thwart the pesky squirrels. No signs of tulips there yet and when I tried to lift off the chicken wire, it was still frozen to the ground in one corner. It's quite amazing how different sections of the garden have their own microclimates. In a less exposed section, the crocuses are nearly several inches tall. They sleep all winter under about a foot of heavy leaves so I have to get that stuff off early, before the crocuses get too leggy. It was a pleasure to rake it up today.

Here's the annoyance of the day- I opened a brand new pack of dianthus seeds and it's completely empty! It might only be $1.79 but still. What a rip.