Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonrose_gw

Reading Garden

sharonrose
16 years ago

Hello everyone. I know that this site has great gardeners (I've visited often, but never become a member until now)that are smart and helpful (not shmoozing...that's the way most gardeners are)! ;-) I decided to join to pick people who are willing's brains a little. My oldest daughter is a Girl Scout working on her Gold Award (everyone knows about B.S's Eagle, but rarely know of the G.S's). Her project is a Reading Garden she is making at the local elementary school. She's the one doing all the work, but I thought if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts, it's always good to have other knowledgeable opinions. Her plot was "a butterfly garden"...actually a weed patch one of the HS science teachers tried to do and then left so it was all weeds pretty much and the teachers along the plot couldn't open their windows because of the pollen and bees. So why am I pestering you all? I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of plants (she does have some plants figured out that are low pollen, less liked by bees, and/or would bloom during the summer, including some foliage-type), or any helpful suggestions. She has taken a few pictures of the before & I could post them...she will be totally transforming the area...so paths, benches (enough for up to 30 kids at a time), plants, a fence or screening...and of course she is starting at the soil which is supposed to be removed by a bobcat. How many inches would you suggest and fill it back in with what sort of mixture? I know I'm being a pain. We have ideas, but again...people here probably have more experience! Any help will be appreciated. :-)

Thanks,

Sharon Rose

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting