Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_nanny

replacement for franks nursery

plant_nanny
19 years ago

Now that Franks Nursery and Crafts has gone out of business,does anyone have a replacement for them in Du Page or Kane County of Illinois? I need to find seeds, planting materials, Jiffy Mix, fertilizers, sprays, and garden equipment etc. like Franks carried. I know many nurseries for plant stock, but no one with the selections that Franks had for these other things. I'm not keen on Home Depot, or Lowes or Menards or Ace Hardware since they have so little to choose from. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

Plant Nanny, I think you're up northwest from Chicago, right? Have you ever heard of Jamacian Gardens? There's one in Morton Grove, and I think the second is Libertyville..You'd have to call for info. Toni

• stinkypink
    19 years ago

I've recently been to the Morton Grove Jamaican Gardens (which I think is way too far if you're in Kane County). They had Pro-Mix in several sizes along with amendments, lots of fertilizers et al, but not very many seeds (the usual couple of racks of Burpee products). I don't know about the Libertyville one.

• plant_nanny
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, Jamaican Gardens in Morton Grove is a bit far for me and the Libertyville one is even farther. However, if they have wonderful planting stuff, I can do the drive - about an hour. Thanks

• tadeusz5
    19 years ago

Try Sid's Greenhouse in Dupage county at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sid's

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

Amlings used to have a good selection of the plant products that you mentioned. There are 10 in the suburbs, Cook and DuPage I think.

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

How far are you from Aurora? (I'm terrible w/directions)
    There's a place called Berko's on the border of Aurora and Winfield.
    Another place in Dupage County besides Sid's is Ted's Nursery in Tinley Pk. I don't know how many seeds either of these places have though..I order my seeds, mostly annuals, online from a place called Pinetree Gardens. Toni

• applefan
    19 years ago

I too will miss Franks! You might want to check out Walmart for seed starting pots and mix and other garden supplies. Also do try to visit The Growing Place in Naperville on Plank Road or in Aurora on Montgomery Road. They have great plants...annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees...but they are much more expensive than Franks...
    Jean

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

Try Wannemaker's in Downers Grove. It's on Ogden Avenue a couple of miles east of I-355. They have a garden show coming up the weekend of 3/12 that is always interesting, with free seminars on Saturday and Sunday and a lot of great sales. Don't miss the Weber lady and her free samples!

V.

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

V. do they sell outdoor plants or tropicals at this sale? Toni

• klimkm
    19 years ago

I think the walmarts in Kane county sell the indoor plant mix and fertilizer stuff. I know the one in St. Charles on North Avenue on the east side of the river, just put on an addition that has all nursery stuff in there. (Although I won't touch their nursery stock - absolutely the worst I have seen).
    Also - they are building a new walmart on Randall road - I can't wait until that one gets finished...
    Also try Lowe's on Randall Road in Geneva. Home depot I think has a nursery area also, I know they have indoor plants. I think that is the reason that Frank's went out - they couldn't compete with the "big box" stores. Too bad - I bought a lot of nursery stock from them. Better variety than the boxes I always thought. I got some kind of unusual stuff there.

• myfijiangarden
    19 years ago

Try Big R in Morris, or of course there is always Farm and Fleet in Montgomery, Ottawa or DeKalb. They all carry the same stuff as Frank's did plus a lot more, especially Big R in Morris (Route 47 just south of I80)