Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smom40

Are your bulbs starting to come up? eek!

smom40
19 years ago

I can see irises and tulips starting to come up all over my yard...

Please tell me again that these puppies are not going to croak....right? (wince)

Comments (21)

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

They should be OK. I am keeping my fingers crossed too. Everything is pushing through. My Snowdrops started to bloom 5 days ago....very cute. And a few weeks earlier than normal. They bloomed in January once before.... That was wonderful.

• piegirl
    19 years ago

Saw my first crocus in a friend's yard yesterday! That's early for Lincoln. And after arriving home, I cruised my back 40 and found peony stalks poking thru and this does worry me, my bleeding heart was showing about 1/2 inch so I pulled some more mulch over the sprouts. That is very early for a b. heart. And after the snow melted and the rains came, can't hold the bulbs back - some are up 3 inches, in more shaded areas, just the noses. Piegirl

• smom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yeah, mine too. I'm just afraid we're going to get hit with some freezing nights again and the puppies are going to slime...

I can see their noses all over the beds and it's making me nervous.

• juicylucy
    19 years ago

The majority of my bulbs are up and a few crocus in the lawn started blooming today (a full month ahead of last year). I think they will be fine, despite the crazy weather! Spring is almost here...

• Janine Starykowicz
    19 years ago

I had foliage up in December. The muscari and dutch iris now look wilted, all but one hyacinth pulled back under the dirt. I have two clumps of tulips under a lilac bush that have 3 inch foliage that still looks pretty decent. Crocus leaves all over the place, but no buds yet. Daffs are barely peeking out. Big irises look great. Creeping charlie is healthy, various lamiums showing signs of life, pansies green but dragging themselves out of sleep soooo slowly.

One area worries me, the front garden (faces east). I planted lots of crocus last year, only the Blue Pearls came up. So this year I planted Cream Beauty and tricolor, some Zwanenburg Bronze and a few big yellow and purple ones. So far nothing, but I'm hoping they are hiding under the leaves I haven't cleared yet. Maybe next week after the forecasted cold snap passes.

No snow yet today here in NW Indiana. Rain is taking a break, has been misting/raining all day. Finally all the snow is gone, hoping if we get more it melts off quickly.

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Yikes. Hyacinths are pushing through! The florets are showing. :-(

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I covered mine with Christmas trees a few weeks ago, so hopefully nothing will come up too soon. I know we'll get more cold up here!

• smom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I don't want to curse myself, but maybe spring will come a little early??............

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

It is going down to about 6 degrees to night. Spring is not here yet. I washed my winter coat and put it away last week, but had to bring it out again yesterday. :-(

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

I haven't seen anything coming up yet. In a couple of weeks things should start showing. I've had iris leaves popping up in February, but not too often. When they came up that early, they always bloomed ok. A few times the early leaves turned curley when we had some very cold weather after they came up. But the flowers were fine.

Kat

• GreenThumbinKC
    19 years ago

I noticed my first bloom of the spring today... a dwarf iris. About four weeks earlier than last year.

• plant_nanny
    19 years ago

As of today (2-29) I have nothing coming up! I planted winter aconites and snow drops last fall hoping for some early blooms but, alas nothing! Also included in nothing showing are all my dafs and tulips and squill and crocus. The ground is still frozen, it snowed again last night (only an inch) and it is raining now. Early spring hopes are dying fast!

• smom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, it's snowing like a dog out there right now. Some of them are up 2-3 inches... *wince*

Yah, what early spring??

• SandL
    19 years ago

My hostas are all coming up and I've spotted a few crocus blooming from those I planted last Autumn. I have not checked out the rest of the bulbs I planted, but I have a feeling some of them are getting ready to pop too.
    Like you, I'm hoping that everything stays down a bit longer so the bulbs have not spent their blooms when everything else starts to wake up (clematis, sage, etc).

Heather

• arrick
    19 years ago

I think a lot of things are going to really slow down this week after the brief warmup - I've been hearing long-range reports that are seeing one of the coldest Marches on record from the upper Mississippi Valley eastward. Get out there now while you can! Bet that cold weather won't bother these guys though... :)

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Snowdrops are just the sweetest sights for February - March, aren't they? Nice picture, arrick.

Mine are bloomimg too. Have been popping up one by one since Feb. 10. I seem to get more this year, though nowhere near several hundreds that I originally planted.

Spotted Eranthis this morning.
    I planted some Allium 'Globemaster' in 5 gallon pots and surrounded them with bags of leaves. Pulled the top bags out this afternoon and what did I find? 3 Alliums have sprouted. One was over 6" tall!

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

Today it got up to 57 and it was beautiful out. But Monday the temps will start dropping and there's a chance of snow thru the week. I took a good look today at my gardens and noticed some bulbs just starting to pop up. A few iris, sedum and my corydalis were also breaking thru the ground. Gave me a good feeling until I saw what the weather was going to be this week! LOL!

Kat

• smom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

yeah, I feel the same way. Tulips and irises coming up all over. I just hope that they can take the weather that is coming. Please please RAIN, no snow! *crossing fingers*

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Yeah, it had to be at least 60 yesterday. Dropping to 12 tonight. Yikes! Wierd weather. Saw Helleborus buds today. Bulbs popping up everywhere. :-)

• smom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What's interesting here now is that although I can see where *I* planted my bulbs, I'm also now starting to see things come up that the previous owner planted. First identifiable thing are some TINY miniture daffodils!! One already has a bloom!

Unbelievable.

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Oooh. How exciting, TINY mini daffodils that someone else planted, smom40. I wonder what other wonderful surprises are in store for you. :-)