Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to be 55 on Sat., can I trim my roses yet?

Posted by Carrie77 z6 St. Louis MO (peapods@mailaka.net) on
Thu, Feb 3, 05 at 18:38

Hi ya'll. I am feeling the signs of cabin fever. :o)

It is going to be warm here in St. Louis (Zone 6) this Saturday. I haven't trimmed my roses, I usually trim them in early Spring to about 3' high. Is it too early to trim them this Saturday??? I thought it may be ok since we've had hard freezes and I have always tried to trim them in the past before they started to grow again in the Spring.

Any advice would be great. I just don't want to harm them..but I also wanted to get it done early if I could since I will have so many other things to do out in the yard in the Spring.

Thanks!

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to be 55 on Sat., can I trim my roses yet?

I wouldn't do it yet, Carrie. I leave the pruning for at least another month, because we've got lots more cold weather on the way.

As a cabin fever remedy,I suggest going to MoBot and visiting the Linnean House. The camellias are hitting their stride right about now. Also, the orchid show is a pleasant break from the late-winter blues.

o

• Posted by MeMo NE-Zone 4B (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 9:03

Prune roses when the Forsythia Bushes bloom. That's the guideline I have always used...works perfectly.

MeMo

o

My favorite nursery prints a calander of when to do what. If you are a spring pruner, prune them around mid-April. I'm anxious to prune mine too, but our weather is so unpredictable. Last week we had wonderful weather and this week there was threat of snow.
I'm just afraid that if you pruned them now they might go into shock if the weather suddenly turned bad on you.

Heather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here