Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinda66

Plant Exchange in Terre Haute

cinda66
17 years ago

I just moved to Terre Haute the end of November. I still grief over my yard I left at my old house in NW Indiana.

This yard has some basic landscaping but nothing to sing about. So I am for all purposes starting over from scratch.

I was wondering if anyone near Terre Haute would like to be involve in a plant exchange the last week-end of April? Ice tea, snacks and about 10 labeled plants each. Just things you have too much of put in generic containers (milk cartons, gallons, coffee cans etc)

Comments (13)

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

I'm just 30 miles west in Illinois! What a treat to have a gardenweb friend so near!
    I have hostas, plus a few other things.....some grasses that can be divided, etc.
    We've only been at this location three years, so we're always moving things around, or adding to the landscape here.

Jan..........ps. welcome to the area.

• cinda66
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jan,
    I'll keep you posted on if I can get an exchange pulled together and I am hoping to make this a yearly thing.
    I know I will have some daylilies, Irisis, hostas, maybe some lilacs, raspberries and peonies.
    Next year I hope to have many southern magnolia seedlings, they smell of oranges and bloom twice a year even in z5.

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

There is usually a plant exchange/sale, held the first Saturday in May, in Marshall, IL. It is put on by the Master Gardeners. There are usually plenty of vendors, with a wide variety.......seedlings,(veg and flower)plus established plants of all types.
    When I hear more about it, I'll let you know. Its just about 20 miles west of TH.
    There is usually an herb fest at Fairbanks Park around the same weekend.

Jan

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

The Plant Sale date is set for May 5, 8:30 - 10:00 am.
    (that's 9:30- 11:00 Eastern time)
    Come early for a really good selection.

Have you set a date for a swap in Terre Haute?

Jan

• cinda66
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This cold weather has set everything back. I'm thinking the week-end after Mother's Day. I will post here with details of where and when.

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

The cold weather has put a halt on lots of things......
    What kind of raspberries do you have? Red? Black?
    thornless? do you know how old they are? or what variety?

My front porch thermometer says 62, this afternoon!!!

Jan

• compass5b
    17 years ago

Golly, maybe I can join you next year when I'd have something to really trade... A lot of my "tradables" look pretty pathetic after the cold.
    Speaking of...Jan, where is the Marshall Plant Sale held?
    Is it in a specific park or at an address that I could look up?
    -Hannah

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

Hannah,
    It is in Marshall, IL, south on Rt. 1, at the Extension Bldg. It is a large white metal building. There will be lots of signs, and the parking lot will be full!
    Are you planning on coming over? If so, look me up. I will be wearing a Master Gardener apron and name badge. If you need more directions, let me know.

Jan

• cinda66
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The first Saturday in May?.. I might try to make it over there.

gourd_friends sorry no raspberries, I had bunches of them at my old house, new owner promised I could have them this spring since he had no interest in them....found out he killed them off during the warm weather we had a few weeks ago.
    I won a blue ribbon with those raspberrys.. making a pie for the county fair.. it really sucks :(

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear about the raspberries. We are always adding to our landscape, and hope to add more fruits this year.
    We planted a handful of persimmon seeds this morning. I had them in the freezer for a year or two.
    We have a few strawberries, rhubarb, and a gooseberry bush, but still have lots of space for more.

Come early to the plant sale/swap. There is also a flea market in town that day.

Jan

• gourd_friends
    16 years ago

Hope you can come to the plant sale/swap Sat. morning.
    Our advisor says we are expecting more than 20 vendors, with a great variety for all.

Jan

• HU-242650341
    28 days ago

I am in Terre Haute! I would love to. I have bergamot

• HU-242650341
    28 days ago

And irises

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus