Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isuhunter

New house and no rhubarb -- help me

isuhunter
12 years ago

We recently moved and need to plant some rhubarb. What do you guys have/recommend?

Comments (5)

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Isuhunter, you might try one of the other forums like the "Kitchen Garden", or "Edibles", or maybe the vegetable people. (Also much more active forums.)

I have some rhubarb, but it's struggling. It's too warm in the spring, and we have too much drought in the summer for it to do very well. I also picked one that had very small stalks-and it's very sweet, not the tart flavor I expected.

It only makes enough for a small amount of sauce, and this is after being in the ground for at least 7 years!!! Usually there is enough for 2-3 people to have some over ice cream, or a roasted chicken.

I wish I could find the "German Wine" one I had in NE Ohio, it was a purple red, and very juicy. You should be in a great area for growing rhubarb, are there any Amish or Mennonites that sell plants?

• limhyl
    12 years ago

I normally shun walmart but in the spring I go buy a ton of bare roots and bulbs from them. I planted three rhubarb a month ago and they are coming up well. Not sure what shape they would be in if you looked for the bare root now. HOwever, I think the best option would be to find someone with a productive patch you could raid. That being said, this is my first year to grow rhubarb in IL so I don't know how it will hold up to the heat and humidity here.

• pattypeterson2208
    11 years ago

I live in southern Minn if you want to come and get them I have some baby plants that came up when plant went to seed last summer. Patty

• RpR_
    11 years ago

If you want to be sure of good rhubarb before you plant you must prepare the ground deeply.
    I am speaking of feet, not inches.

Dig a hole two to three feet deep and fill it a combination of compost and potting soil.
    Do not pick ANY for two years. You can slowly increase the picking as the years go by.

• regencylass
    11 years ago

I've grown rhubarb for years and every place I've lived I've left behind a few rhubarb plants. I don't purchase them as they are just too easy to grow from seed. When planting, I choose a border location in part sun when possible. Never have I dug a hole any deeper than 6 inches at most. Now I do top dress with rabbit manure and organic compost, and cover with straw each winter. And it grows like crazy. While it's best to wait until the 2nd year to start harvesting, I've harvested lightly the first year without a problem. With the drought this summer, I've mulched them with straw to help keep the moisture from evaporating when I water, and it working as my plants are bright and green with rosy stalks.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!