Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tadeusz5

What's your Favourite Ornamental Plant

tadeusz5
19 years ago

A touch of Majesty ,whether you focus on a individual flower or extensive plantings a Rhododendron in Bloom is my favourite Ornamental Plant. The "King of Shrubs".

What's yours??

Comments (16)

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

It is difficult for me to decide which is my favorite, because I try to plant what would look good at different time of year, which would keep my garden look interesting year round.

Right now, I would say the ornamental grass, Sedum, Yucca, Hydrangea seed heads, Colored twigs and dwarf conifers look very good in my garden. Even the skeleton of barberries look great. And Snowdrops are very cute right this minute.

Next month, I bet I will say the Crocus and dwarf Iris look great. My fickle heart changes as the season goes on. :-)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

I love purple leaf basil. It's leaves curl on the edges and it stays purple all summer. I have 2 planters by my front door that I put this plant in every summer, along with a few others. I also love the smell of basil. I love touching the leaves to smell it.

Kat

• smom40
    19 years ago

ROSES

Second to that, probably rhodies and azaleas..

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

Clematis and daylilies. (Just moved from Chicago suburb so hope I can vote.)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    19 years ago

I like my bougainvillea really well. I have to bring it indoors during cold weather, but even now it is exploding with blooms.

• kms4me
    19 years ago

Variegated horseradish (amorcacia) is absolutely incredible, and better yet, no one who visits my gardens knows what the heck it is, which makes it a lot of fun.

Kate

• tadeusz5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kate;

A variegated variety, it's got to look outstanding, against the other big leaves of the plant.
    Do you also use the root for preparation in sauces??
    It's one tough plant to get rid off, it keeps growing or resprouting even from the tiniest roots. I used to grow couple of plants , and I cried a lot -when it came time to use the hand grater for making couple of jars, it is one great plant for getting your nose a nice jolt.

tadeusz

• kms4me
    19 years ago

Tadeusz,

The roots can be processed for horseradish, but root disturbance may cause the plant to revert to green for a year or so (it will become variegated again), so I would suggest the unvariegated horseradish for that.

Though it does grow from tiny little roots, as you mentioned, I haven't found it to be nearly as invasive as the plain leaved form.

As a kid, I was conscripted into helping a neighbor process horseradish. It was an awful experience, I felt like I'd been gassed, and it took a week or so of repeated washing before my hair stopped reeking of the stuff! I much prefer buying it.

Kate

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Kate--
    How long have you had your variegated horseradish? And how long did it take to develop good variegation? Mine will be coming up on its 4th year this spring, and as of last summer, it only started showing white splashes. Not so impressive so far, but I'm willing to wait another year or two before I just go ahead and eat it.

And to stay on topic, I do have a sentimental thing for peonies. (And lilacs, and pulmonaria, and about 300 others.)

• kms4me
    19 years ago

DirtDiver,

I purchased mine as a very small mail order plant. It was green the first two years but by the third year it was really beautiful.

I've had it approximately 8 years and have divided it many, many times and have also added it in four other places in my gardens. It seems to like moist soil and morning sun the best.

Kate

• dirtdiver
    19 years ago

Thanks Kate, maybe this will be the year for mine to grow showy. I've noticed it doesn't like drought! Even without the variegation it's kind of statuesque.

• kms4me
    19 years ago

Tadeus,

Despite another very bad winter (no/very little snow cover, many things looking like they bought the farm), the rhododendrons in my garden are looking good. Yours must be close to blooming. I'd love to know which varieties you grow and would recommend.

Kate

• Tara_22
    19 years ago

My favorite ornamental plant is . . . well it's a draw between tall annual nicotiana (silvestris I think it is) and moonflowers. I love both for the showy bright white flowers and fragrance they exude at dusk - a wonderful greeting when you get home after a long hard day. I also love the strange hummingbirdish mysterty moths that they both seem to attract . . .

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

My favorite is Butterfly Bush..
    Tara, those mystery moths luv the bb, too..they really are amazing..Toni

• kms4me
    19 years ago

I think those are sphinx moths.

Kate

• bojo96
    19 years ago

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening but I've been toting around a hardy hibiscus for 5 years to 3 homes with this being it's final stop (I refuse to move again LOL) Anyway, the HUGE flowers and the size the plant itself has gotten (about 4 feet tall) has had people stopping at my house to see what it was and where they could get one.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting