Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple and yellow annuals

Posted by kjh9835 6 SouthernIN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 05 at 5:49

Rightnow the only yellow annual I can think of is Marigolds and I can't think of any purple ones. I have created a new bed on the left side of the house that is in full sun most of the day.

I already have black eyed susan, yellow daylilies, pale lavendarish daylilies and purple/white beared iris and jackmanii (purple) clematis (just planted, only 2" tall). I will have to fill the bed with annuals this year because I have spent my limit on getting the bed/soil prepared.

I plan to make this my purple/yellow bed and accent with white (probably impatiens as I know I can grow them).

I am getting the itch to plant although it isn't near warm enough I would like to get a list going of what to plant so I'll be prepared when the garden centers open.

I live in southern Indiana (Vincennes). Thanks for any suggestions.

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple and yellow annuals

Yellow - gazinias, snap dragons
Purple and also white - Heliotrope
Purple - ageratum, petunias, verbena

V.

o

My front garden is purple and yellow, morning sun. I had lots of Montego yellow snaps (dwarf) with some marigolds. Just found a tag for Tahiti yellow snaps too. Also had hanging pots of blue wave petunias mixed with more yellow snaps. For a short purple, look for Wonderland Purple alyssum, this spread nicely. For spring, lots of yellow/purple pansies and violas. I can't do too many short annuals because we also have a lot of varigated hosta, so they swamped the early plantings.

For more yellow, try Peach Melba nasturtiums. These are different shades of yellow with red throats. Whiskey and Ice should be similar. I had some yellow four o-clocks too.

Taller purples are angelonia. I also had asters, spiderwort and daylilies, but those are perennials.

For early spring, I have crocus, daffs, tulips and forsythia.

I'm trying Double Cascade Blue petunias this year, bought the seed from Parks. If those don't take I'll buy more Blue Waves.

o

I may be able to buy some perennials but I don't know yet so I appreciate you including them in your list. I am trying to gather as much info about the plants mentioned as I can and look at photos on the internet so I'll know what to look for when the garden centers open for the season.

There are several in the area and a new one opening this year so I am sure I will be able to locate the plants mentioned if even I have to visit more than one or two.

Thanks for the assistance, I am off to dig out my graph paper and get started sketching in the areas.

Kathy

o

May night salvia and moonshine achillea! Really gorgeous.

o

Some yellow annuals that i have tried are....snapdragons..marigolds..zinnias....gazinias....lantana....moss rose(portulaca)...sunflowers...calif poppies...petunias...
Some purple annuals ive tried are heliotrope...petunias..salvia.....verbena...ageratums...lavender zinnias.....lisianthus....gomphrenas...

o

Kathy,
How is this bed coming along?? And did you do the blue, red and white bed ;-)??

Oh, and I really like Sunny Sky's recomendation. That would be a stunner!!

Jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here