Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender Planting

Posted by UKtransplant Z5 MO USA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 8:38

I have just recieved some Heirloom English Lavender seed, any suggestions as to whether I sew in peat pots in the greenhouse or directly into the garden soil?

Thanks in advance

Steve the UKtransplant... get it ... transPLANT ... weird sense of humor these Brits

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender Planting

start them seeds in Peat/perlite/soil mixture in pots, that way you can control watering, until they are ready for
transplanting directly into beds.

o

Hi tadeus

Thanks for the advice this forum is a godsend to me as I am only just starting to learn all about the various differences tween here and the UK.

Thanks again

Steve the UKtransplant

o

Welcome, Steve! I second what tadeusz5 posted -- I'd start them in peat pots, then plant them outside when the soil gets warm.

Depending on where you are in Missouri, you might want to look into "hardening off" your baby plants before planting outside, and investigate what you'll need to do to protect them when winter comes. (I'm near Chicago, and we've had some unpredictable cold snaps... but it's probably milder down where you are, so do take my paranoia with a grain of salt.)

I also second what you said: the forums are a godsend. They're crammed with nice people and fantastic info.

About the UK, I must confess some serious climate envy! My partner and I honeymooned over there last year, and we saw so many amazing gardens. It's easy to fall in love with rhododendrons when a stunning 20-footer is staring you in the face...

o

Hi NinjaPixie,

Thanks for the secondary vote on the peat pots. Hardening off is a good bet and I will do just that!

As far as the climate over there you must have gone during a warm spell. Usually its warm and wet during the summer, cool and wet during the fall cold and wet during the winter and cool and wet once more in spring.

I much prefer real seasons like we have here in MO. By the way I loved the Hancock Tower on a visit to Chicago ... especially seeing as the guy that took me up there paid the bill. The view was incredible seeing as we were up there at night.

And yes the Rhodies over there are pretty spectacular, the local cemetery to where I lived was amass with them. My Dad used to say its due to the "body" of the soil.

Anyway thanks once again

Steve the UKtransplant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Midwest Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here